General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Do you have sunroof dimples?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation Do you have sunroof dimples?

OK, help us out. We were having a discussion the autoX forum about chassis durability and it seems that quite a few of us are developing depressions or dimples in the roof around the sunroof, but no one seems to know what causes it. So we're asking the whole forum to help us out.
IF YOU HAVE SUNROOF DIMPLES, THEN PLEASE POST:
-The Year of the Car
-The body style
-All suspension mods
-Any canyon running, autocross, track days, etc.... you may have done, we don't think this is a straight line issue, but if you drag race and have the problem, we want to know.
-Picture if possible

There doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason as to why they happen or why people get them I hope getting a big enough sample of people together might help get to the bottom of this, at least giving us an idea of what years might be most at risk or something for it.
Thanks,
Your neighborhood friendly racers

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 02-22-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
EX Sedan
Neuspeed front sway poly bushings, Neuspeed upper strut bar, RSX 19mm rear sway.
Some canyon running
-Only noticed body flex noises while driving over rough pavement
Old 02-22-2005
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
02 EX Coupe
19mm RSX sway bar, 15X7s w/ Falken Azenis.

I noticed the roof dimpling within 2 - 3 autocross events running with the Azenies.
Old 02-22-2005
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Um, it hasent happened to myself, but to my friend... it seems to be because the body was flexing aroudn the sunroof area, and since it's not 1 solid piece it twists around the frame rails. I read this is a magazine once also. Sorry if it wasen't much help but I thought maybe it might shed light =)
Old 02-22-2005
DOHC i-VTEC TiMEX

aznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud ofaznboysrfr has much to be proud of
02 ex coupe
tanabe lowering springs, blown shocks
I never canyon run and have never autox'ed

I used to have a turbo ... dunno if that means anything. my dimples are not noticable until you are up and close and you actually know what you're looking for
Old 02-22-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Eibach sportlines, 40 series tires.

I got the dimples after I ran over a piece of wood on the freeway. Insurance fixed them, but I notice a lot of squeaking when the vehicle is going up a driveway at a slant.
Old 02-22-2005
Turbos, Engines, Chassis and Suspension Tech

4drcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic sedan
eibach pro kit
koni yellows
eibach sway bars
nuespeed upper strut bar

Noticed them after I hadn't even raced the car.

Last edited by gearbox; 02-26-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
2002 Civic EX Coupe. Noticed dimples also, but BEFORE I added a Neuspeed front strut bar and X-brace, and an RSX-X rear sway bar. I like to take a good twisty road now and then, but it has not gotten worse since the bars. Have Michelin 16" MXM tires, (freebies from RSX-S) on light alloy rims. No other mods.
Old 02-24-2005
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
2001 2dr
Ground Control sleeved coilovers
Koni Yellow struts
Neuspeed front strut bar
RSX 19mm rear sway bar
OEM performance cross bar
SPC camber kits front and rear
DC polished rear lower tie bar
generic rear upper strut bar
I have a dimple in the left right corner.
no auto x just some hard cornering . I think that the dimple came from angling up drive ways. My car is pretty low. It has not gotten worse.

Last edited by djmota; 02-24-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-24-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
2dr EX
Nuespeed Race
Tokico HPs
SPC Cambers

I got dimples almost in ever corner, ill post some pics later today.
I do drive my car hard, but I dont auto-x or any legit racing...
My case might be diffrent since I bought the car 2nd hand and it was involved in a fender bender before I got it.
Dimples have been present since day 1.
Old 02-26-2005
Registered!!

D17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura aboutD17thgen has a spectacular aura about
whats this thread about in simple language? someone going on with peoples sunroofs or something?
Old 02-26-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone have a picture of these dimples. I am curious to know what they look like.
Old 02-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by D17thgen
whats this thread about in simple language? someone going on with peoples sunroofs or something?

Dimples are little dents or impressions that are believed to be created around the roof area from the whole car twisting or buckling during hard cornering. I remember a long time ago seeing a thread about it here with pics. This was before the site was redone.
Old 02-26-2005
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Here ya go.. a post with some pics:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dimple

Old 02-26-2005
Registered!!

Here's another:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...t=61217&page=1
Old 02-26-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
That thread may explain why my car has not gotten worse after I added all the bars.
It dimpled while stock, actually. My car has to twist quite a bit when I drive into my driveway.
Old 02-26-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 4drcivic2k1
2001 Civic sedan
eibach pro kit
koni yellows
eibach sway bars
nuespeed upper strut bar

Noticed them after I hadn't even raced the car.
Oh that's nice. Almost exactly what I have.
Old 03-05-2005
SICCMADE

Danka02 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Ex Sedan
Eibach Sportlines
19mm Rear Sway Bar
Bfg Traction T/a's
Noname Strutbar

Canyon Runs And Coast Runs

If I Had Never Read This Sticky I Would Always Thought That The Roof On My Car Was Just Crap But This Really Help Me Figure Out The Problem My Roof Has
Old 03-05-2005
Registered!!

MIVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
01 EX Coupe
Eibach Prokit w/ Tokico Blues
SPC Camber kit
Enkei 18's w/ Nankang Rubber
2 track Days

Great post i never knew why i had fin dents like that in my roof!
Old 03-05-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Well this is concerning. I don't have any dents and I've been driving normal for the most part, but lately I've been taking corners faster so I hope they don't start forming. I mean, what should we do, the dealer will just say some stuff fell on it and made the dents.
Old 03-05-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
I have a 03 and before I dropped or auto x-ed my car I got the dimples
Old 03-05-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
2001 sedan
tein basic
driving hard on curvey roads (sort of like canyon running?)

i don't have dimples or i can't see them.
Old 03-07-2005
Registered!!

Eman is an unknown quantity at this point
02 ex coupe
I had 17's before and noticed the dimples around the sunroof. Someone had told that since there is less rubber than the 15's, the body flexing does not get absorbed by the tires and a possible solution is to install strut tower bars and rear sway bars.
Old 03-07-2005
Premium Member

Am I reading correctly here that the Coupes seem to be more dimple prone than the sedans?
Old 03-07-2005
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
2002 ex coupe
sunroof
tein ss (lowered all the way)
neuspeed upper front

no dimples...

I drive like an *******
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

prccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok... i have dimples as well, we won't get into the story of how i got them....but it sounds like a few of you have gotten them fixed...how much money did u have to fork out to get it fixed? a simple dent place could fix it???...or do i have to take it somewhere where they do more then paintless dent removal?
Old 03-19-2005
Premium Member

But the problem is they'll just come back again.
Old 03-19-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
To fix mine, they did the actual body work and repainted my roof, trunk, and hood. At least my car is super shiney once again.

About 800 dollars to do all this. Seems the sun roof area flexes a lot.
Old 03-20-2005
Registered!!

prccivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by rickinthescv
To fix mine, they did the actual body work and repainted my roof, trunk, and hood. At least my car is super shiney once again.

About 800 dollars to do all this. Seems the sun roof area flexes a lot.

why did they paint all that???...and 800 bucks, u go to macco for the paint or???
Old 03-20-2005
xam
snooty patooty partier

xam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura aboutxam has a spectacular aura about
04 civic vp coupe (no sunroof)
nuespeed race springs
obx front strut bar
absoluty no sways bars on front or rear (angry)
hawk hps brake pads
power slot rotors

canyon driving the hell out of my car and cruising on coastal roads

no dimples.

Quick Reply: Do you have sunroof dimples?