General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Newby wants advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jmsperform is an unknown quantity at this point
Newby wants advice!

Got an 01 Civic EX 4-door. Who makes performance parts for the 1.7 sohc V-Tec? I want to add a little edge to the daily driver. I was toying with the idea of a turbo, but if I go that route, what do I need to change? I'm a Ford guy, so I don't know too much about imports, so enlighten me please.
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't want to spend a lot, I would say nitrous is the best engine upgrade. Just use it properly & it won't give you any problem to your engine. Well, actually, do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If you have an auto, I wouldn't recommend it though. I don't think Honda factory auto tranny can handle a lot of power. Changing the air intake, header, & exhaust system would give you slight power gain too but it just won't be drastic.
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
everything depends on your budget..
If you have a lot of money to spend, do a RSX engine swap.
If you have some money to spend, do Turbo.
If you have little money to spend, do I/H/E and add Nitrious if you like.
Old 10-19-2004
Registered!!

jyoung is an unknown quantity at this point
your in the right field man, i/h/e has been pretty much denounced as far as giving any kind of significant gain. they are really more useful for sound then actual performance gain. there are a couple turbo kits out there for the d17, if you check out the forced induction forum there is a lot of info in there. with a turbo you have more of a option on how much 'edge' you want to give the car since you can adjust psi, some of the dyno's i've seen around here have ranged from 180 to around 220 (don't quote me on exact numbers), you can swap engines to a k20 (most popular is usually from the rsx) and thats like 220 hp stock. more expensive then the turbo situation. if it's an auto, your kind of limited though, because too much pressure from a turbo is going to require you building up the tranny. i'd look out for dezod's turbo that is aimed at arriving in spring of 05, from what i've read he's developed it on a basically 01 ex auto stock engine.
Old 10-20-2004
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TSSCivic
If you don't want to spend a lot, I would say nitrous is the best engine upgrade. Just use it properly & it won't give you any problem to your engine. Well, actually, do you have a manual or automatic transmission? If you have an auto, I wouldn't recommend it though. I don't think Honda factory auto tranny can handle a lot of power. Changing the air intake, header, & exhaust system would give you slight power gain too but it just won't be drastic.
Ok, thanks for the reply. It is a 5spd manual trans. Now, where can I look for a header, cold air etc. Any websites, or companies??
Old 10-20-2004
Registered!!

Excellent. I was toying with the idea of finding a wrecked Rsx Type S, I drove one, and wow that motor loves making power in high rev situations. I do like the turbo idea, being a 5spd trans, I'd love to do it. 220hp out of that car would make me slap happy like crazy! If I can find a k20, that would be my prime choice to swap that in, but realistically a turbo might just do. I'd like to learn more, and explore my options. So any more info would be GREATLY appriciated, you guys know these imports, and I don't. Thanks for all the help.