General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

guage cluster swap for dx

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chopperdog03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question guage cluster swap for dx

with all the cool reverseglow gauges out there i was wondering if i could do a gauge swap on my civic dx. the only problem is that the dx does not have a tach. is a swap possible here and if so how dificult is it to DIY. any help is greatly appreciated.thanx
Old 08-01-2003
i gOt da MaJik stiK

Hondasport2k3 is an unknown quantity at this point
yea its possible. the tach will work fine.
Old 08-01-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
you can swap with lx gauge cluster. and buy indiglo gauge off ebay.
Old 08-01-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
It's already been done. You can swap clusters from any 2001 or 2002 civics. It would be easier if you find an LX cluster, because EX has abs (it will always stay lit up because LX & DX don't have ABS; but you can cover the bulb up).

Also, find a used cluster with more miles than you. With this way, you can swap clusters when your mileages match. That will keep your can legal, without filing specific paperwork.

Last edited by XxSoVeReiGNxX; 08-01-2003 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-02-2003
Registered!!

TiM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by XxSoVeReiGNxX
It's already been done. You can swap clusters from any 2001 or 2002 civics. It would be easier if you find an LX cluster, because EX has abs (it will always stay lit up because LX & DX don't have ABS; but you can cover the bulb up).

Also, find a used cluster with more miles than you. With this way, you can swap clusters when your mileages match. That will keep your can legal, without filing specific paperwork.
That's what I did I say its the best mod I've done so far, although
its somewhat difficult to find an LX gauge. It took me a few months.
Old 08-02-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
I have OEM 2002 LX 4DR white/Silver gauge.............. less than 15000 miles for sure.............PM me.....................
Old 08-02-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by XxSoVeReiGNxX

what paperwork????? how can you find out if someone allready change the cluster with less mileage???
Old 08-02-2003
Registered!!

TiM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
You really can't unless its a DX with a EX or LX cluster. At least I don't think you can. I accidently went over the mileage so my car actually has 30 less miles than it says on the cluster.
Old 08-02-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Originally posted by YS
what paperwork????? how can you find out if someone allready change the cluster with less mileage???
when you go to buy a used car, don't buy it on the first day. Test drive it and what not, get the VIN number and run it through one of the auto websites that has the history of cars (i'm sorry I forgot what the actual terms are).

This is especially important when buying from an average used-car dealership or 'family-owned' car lot. Dealerships will tell you all the changes done to the car before you buy it (they should; but ask anyway).

Usually when you get your clusters swapped, you need to get it documented (the original car miles vs swapped cluster miles) by a professional like an auto mechanic or you can go to the DMV also. If you know a lot about cars, then get your car's computer checked. The car's mileage is stored in there, as well as in the cluster. When you swap clusters, that cluster's miles will be shown; NOT YOUR CAR'S mileage.

it's hard to sell your car, if they find out you tampered with it (especially the mileage). Documentation will make it easier. Dealerships always check the onboard computer (I think it's in the ECU, but I'm NOT sure)

Last edited by XxSoVeReiGNxX; 08-02-2003 at 07:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
i thought the ECU doesnt store miles??
Old 08-02-2003
YoUnG N SuXsExFul

guamcivic2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i thought that ecu did store the miles...that's why if swap, get one with a lil higher mileage then swap when ur old one gets to taht number..