Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Loss of acceleration/power after driving for a few minutes

Old 05-06-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BmoreAMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Loss of acceleration/power after driving for a few minutes

I'm not sure what could be going on with my civic. Every morning my civic starts up fine and starts driving fine like it always has, but as of recently after a couple minutes of driving/braking I notice the transmission shifting at higher RPMs and a lack of acceleration combined with a little more rough of a ride.

I've replaced the calipers, rotors, brake pads and brake master cylinder thinking that might be where the problem was at but the car still seems to have the issue.

Any thoughts or ideas of where I can go from here? I've had the car since 90k miles and the car now has 180k so I know of the maintenance that was completed between that time frame.
Old 05-06-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Loss of acceleration/power after driving for a few minutes

i bet the front engine mount is torn. that could affect power and cause shakes when the engine shifts position. and also the auto trans may be starting to go out if its slipping into gears. if the whole car is shaking tho you might be having some mild misfires and maybe dropping in a new set of ngk or denso spark plugs will help. the coppers are only $2 each.
Old 05-17-2010
Registered!!

I had the transmission serviced recently by a certified honda tech and he didn't say anything was wrong with it. If the engine mount is torn, wouldn't that cause the car to always perform the same with vibrations and lack of acceleration? My issue seems to only occur after the car has been driven for 10-15 minutes and then it starts. It almost seems like it has something to do with a vacuum or something that is heat related, you know it takes time to build up the pressure or amount of heat for it to start. It almost feels like its something with the wheels that is causing the car to be held back (i.e. calipers not fully releasing). I recently replaced the spark plugs with Bosch Platinum +4
Old 05-17-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

start by replacing the spark plugs with ngk or denso, those are the only brands you should use in a honda. the engine mount being broken will not always be a problem, it just depends how the engine shifts around. remember there are still 3 other mounts holding it. the front mount usually breaks a bit and can cause the motor to change position, which affects power delivery. you can also jack up the car and spin the wheels, make sure they are moving and not getting stuck on the brakes. but from your last post, i bet most of it is caused from the bosch plugs.
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

Ok, I'll go ahead and replace the sparks with NGK or Denso and also examine the engine brackets to see what I can find, and repost. As far as the brakes, the vibrations and speed problem happened yesterday as I was traveling home. Once I got home I gave all the wheels a smell and a touch to the lugs, no smell or excess heat so I think the brakes are good and not sticking.
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

Should I go ahead and replace the spark wires too with NGK brand?
Old 05-19-2010
Premium Member

how old are the oem wires? new ones never hurt, and they do wear out over time. ngk wires are a good replacement.