Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Poor Acceleration

Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lotadoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor Acceleration

I have a stock 98 civic with 169,000 miles on it. The acceleration has really gotten bad. It does "okay" on flat roads but it feels like I'm dragging a 500 pound weight around when climbing hills, It just doesn't have any PEP. I've changed the oxygen sensors, done a full tune-up, used fuel system cleaner and reset the ECU. There is no CEL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

CivicRage is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Poor Acceleration

Had this same problem when i got my car and it only has 116,000 miles on it. If you haven't yet; change your fuel filter, get the injectors cleaned properly and have them tested. Seafoam and that other stuff isn't potent enough.Dirty fuel injectors, dirty valves, and combustion chamber filth most likely as well. Water or moisture in your gas tank. Try some "heet" its 2$ Try the small stuff first of course.

And if its still happening then your timing belt is probably fried. Climbing a hill will only push to snap it even easier . If its not fried its adjusted wrong. But with 169,000 miles it seems to me that would be it. Just a few ideas.. I'm no where near expert but my car had these same problems and now runs great.
Old 04-29-2010
Registered!!

Lotadoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Poor Acceleration

I'm leaning towards the injectors. They are original. I had the timing belt replaced at 139,000 by a place that specializes in Hondas. Maybe I'll take it back there and have them check the injectors. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't some easy fix, before I spend too much money on an old car. Thanks for your help.