Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

please help i think mechanic screwing me

Old 02-11-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickycash is an unknown quantity at this point
please help i think mechanic screwing me

Hey everyone I'm new to the fourms. I recently bought a used 2004 honda civic lx 4 door. Also let me add that I am a mechanical idiot I know almost nothing about cars. The problem started a few days ago while I was driving as I stopped then gased a little to go around a turn it kinda just shut off and all the lights went on I tried to turn it back on and it would sorta start and then shut right back off. I call a town truck and he asks where I want to tow it I say a shop and he says he has one (starting to think that was my first mistake) anyway they tell me its the erg valve. I'm very broke so I say are you sure that it will start when you fix this. He says yaya no problem. They fix it and now magiclly that wasn't the problem they say now its the chip or antenna in the key. And and for free they threw in a map sensor.. I don't know what to do I owe them 500 for the work and that's about all I have, but without my car I can't get to work. Any ideas on what could be wrong and what I should do about the situation would be a huge help. I haven't gone and paid him yet. Thanks for your time I know this is kinda long.
Old 02-11-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: please help i think mechanic screwing me

wow yeah they just wanted your money. egr and map sensors have nothing to do with what happened and i find it hard to believe those cost 500. it takes 5 minutes to change egr and the part itself is only $150 or less for a new aftermarket one. are there any gauge lights coming on when you turn the car on? check engine light?
Old 02-11-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickycash
Hey everyone I'm new to the fourms. I recently bought a used 2004 honda civic lx 4 door. Also let me add that I am a mechanical idiot I know almost nothing about cars. The problem started a few days ago while I was driving as I stopped then gased a little to go around a turn it kinda just shut off and all the lights went on I tried to turn it back on and it would sorta start and then shut right back off. I call a town truck and he asks where I want to tow it I say a shop and he says he has one (starting to think that was my first mistake) anyway they tell me its the erg valve. I'm very broke so I say are you sure that it will start when you fix this. He says yaya no problem. They fix it and now magiclly that wasn't the problem they say now its the chip or antenna in the key. And and for free they threw in a map sensor.. I don't know what to do I owe them 500 for the work and that's about all I have, but without my car I can't get to work. Any ideas on what could be wrong and what I should do about the situation would be a huge help. I haven't gone and paid him yet. Thanks for your time I know this is kinda long.

I am wondering if it was just an alternator or battery? Just to lose power liek that, and then the gauge lights come on.

Tell them since they did not fix the car the first time to pull the part they put in and tell them you want to take it somewhere else, or just pay with a check and stop it (your call on that one).
Old 02-20-2010
Registered!!

After huge fights with the mechanic magiclly it wasn't the egr it was some wires that got messed up when the last person changed the timeing belt... acording to the mechanic. I got a brand new battery and the car had the whole engine rebuilt last year by last owners cousin who's sapposed to be a great mechanic. And yes my check engine lights on its been on. Another friend of mine who works on cars said there's a leak in my exuhast manifold gasket.. I had him look at it cause there was a weird noise when I drove. Also the rip off mechanic told me the catalytic converter had a crack. I had the car back for about 5 days since then its stalled out twice the first time I was at a red light and the whole car started shaking and wouldn't move then 2 days later it just shut off. What do I do I know nothing about cars how should I go about this please any advice.
Old 02-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Man that car is crap. Take it back and get your money. You shouldnt have to deal with so many problems. Blame the seller, tell them to fix it.
Old 02-22-2010
Registered!!

Ya I wish the guy I bought it from ain't trying to fix **** I got completely screwed I don't know what to do I need this car to work.. its the only car me and my wife have and were really not doing well financially. I don't know what to do