Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Troublems

Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Troublems

So I threw a code yesterday and then the light went off.. had my friend pull the codes I was throwing
P0113, P0301,P0302, and P0300. I know that the first code has to do with intake air temp sensor..going to try to diagnose it tomorrow. The other three are just misfires.. I have no Idea what can that be..the book says bad fuel or fuel pressure. Any input on that would be cool..
On top of all of that my water pump is going bad. I am at a red light and my heat turns cold..then I go on the highway and my heat is too hot to even bear with. I am only at 80k, I was going to change it probably around 85 anyway but it looks like I will be doing it soon before. Any input on any of this especially the misfires would be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Troublems

well the intake air temp sensor is either unplugged or went bad. its just a thermistor inside and the sensor is cheap so just replace it with a new one. as for the misfires, either you have a clogged injector or bad spark plugs. maybe fuel pressure is a bit low. or you have a blown headgasket at the worst and one or more cylinders have low compression. you loosing any coolant?
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Could have using Prestone instead of Honda coolant done this, just curious?
Old 03-18-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
well the intake air temp sensor is either unplugged or went bad. its just a thermistor inside and the sensor is cheap so just replace it with a new one. as for the misfires, either you have a clogged injector or bad spark plugs. maybe fuel pressure is a bit low. or you have a blown headgasket at the worst and one or more cylinders have low compression. you loosing any coolant?
Heres the thing..air intake threw a code..but then the light when off..so I guess the problem dissapeared..sensor intermitantly working? short somewhere? I made sure it was on there good, its supposed to sit a bit loose in the rubber boot right?

Ill look up how to check injectors, plugs are brand new,I wish my friend had the tools to test fuel pressure.. but he only has one for fords and gms..they already have test ports unlike our cars..I am going to also check compression..doubt its the headgasket no weird smoke everything is powered fine..

my coolant is dissapearing though..and I have no idea where its going..I filled it a few months ago and today I was dry..
Old 03-19-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the only thing using crappy coolant would do is corrode the system and possibly clog the radiator.

i would just replace the sensor to be sure.

and okay see, coolant disappearing is not a good sign (theres no leak anywhere right?). that means its getting burned in the cylinders and causing the misfire codes. so my money is on a small headgasket leak. i had the exact same issues and had to get it replaced (be sure whoever does it uses a new honda gasket and resurfaces the cylinder head). get a coolant pressure test done but im almost positive its a slow leak and youre burning coolant in the engine. you will not have any other signs like smoke or messed up oil.
Old 03-19-2009
Registered!!

Wow..what causes a blown headgasket? Once I pressure test it I will know if the gasket is blown?
Old 03-19-2009
Premium Member

if its a very small leak, no amount of test will be able to show anything. basically what happens is when the car is running, the gases keep coolant out of the cylinders and the car runs normal. but when you shut off the engine, coolant will seep in thru the bad headgasket areas and pool up in the cylinders. this causes misfires when you start the car again later, after which in a few minutes the coolant burns off and you have a normal car again. cycle repeats and coolant gets used up.

what causes it? who knows. alot of things can including carbon buildup leading to higher compression, clogged pcv valve, driving style, drastic temp changes, driving car hard before its warmed up, and sometimes it happens for no reason.
Old 03-19-2009
Registered!!

My car didnt overhear today no codes no nothing, and I have heat.. I am really confused..
Old 03-20-2009
Premium Member

yeah i never once went above normal temp, and my heat worked fine. still had the headgasket leak tho. thats really all i can think of, i mean, where else would the coolant go if its not dripping on the ground? has to be burning in the engine and the only way for that to happen is thru the headgasket.
Old 03-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mkokotovich is an unknown quantity at this point

If your coolant is disappearing, check your oil level. If it seems higher than usual, or if you can see any coolant on your dipstick, then you have a headgasket problem. That is what happened to my on my last car, coolant would run straight from the reservoir to the oil, basically. Once it got really bad the oil was a tan sludge, and that is when I bought my civic.
Old 03-26-2009
Registered!!

I finally realized the coolant was boiling over. New water pump is in order. DIY tb thread here I come!