Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Car break-in...need new stereo help

Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
owslystnly is an unknown quantity at this point
Car break-in...need new stereo help

Alrighty, here's my problem. My 99 civic HX has been broken into 3 times. First two times they never got my stereo, but they broke it the second time. Last night they got the stereo. These aren't fancy stereos....the most recent one was an Alpine CDA 9856 that cost $200 new. I just want to be able to connect my ipod (well, when I get a new one since that got ganked too). Bluetooth would be nice too, but I suppose not necessary.

I am thinking going with a stock radio might reduce breakin frequency. Anybody know if the new civic stock radios will fit in my vehicle and if they have any desirable features?

Anybody also know how to keep the thieves from breaking in (fyi, I keep NOTHING in my car, and what little there is is never in plain view).

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-26-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car break-in...need new stereo help

this happened with my old car when i parked in the ghetto at work. what i did was leave the deck in most of the way, but maybe an inch sticking out so you can just pull it out and unplug. its not that much of a pain, and youll never get broken into. only thing is youll lose the radio presets and settings if you care. and alpine is a fancy deck lol. almost anything that looks aftermarket will be stolen even if it sucks. but alpine, even cheaper ones, are really nice decks and easy to sell.

also for a 99, im sure your factory stereo has a cd changer port in the back. you can buy the conversion cable to run your ipod off it.
Old 09-26-2008
Registered!!

owslystnly is an unknown quantity at this point

the radio that came stock with the car was am/fm only, and I think it entered the landfill when my parents cleaned out their garage a few yrs ago (even though I told them not to throw away that or the JVC I had in there)....

Good idea about leaving the stereo out a bit and taking it with you. I had thought of doing that years ago but when the shop put it in they bolted it to the frame.
Old 09-27-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

find a stock cd player for your car on ebay, it should have the changer port in the back. nobody steals a stock radio, nobody. this one has a changer port, now you just need the converter cable for ipod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-H...mZ160287351298

Last edited by gearbox; 09-27-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2008
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

What about just taking the face plate off? Or did you leave the face plate on there?
Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

mary.supy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by owslystnly
Alrighty, here's my problem. My 99 civic HX has been broken into 3 times. First two times they never got my stereo, but they broke it the second time. Last night they got the stereo. These aren't fancy stereos....the most recent one was an Alpine CDA 9856 that cost $200 new. I just want to be able to connect my ipod (well, when I get a new one since that got ganked too). Bluetooth would be nice too, but I suppose not necessary.

I am thinking going with a stock radio might reduce breakin frequency. Anybody know if the new civic stock radios will fit in my vehicle and if they have any desirable features?

Anybody also know how to keep the thieves from breaking in (fyi, I keep NOTHING in my car, and what little there is is never in plain view).

Thanks for your help.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
mary.supy
Old 09-29-2008
Premium Member

um, wat?