Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Genuine Honda oil or not

Old 06-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dantevil is an unknown quantity at this point
Genuine Honda oil or not

I was just wondering if it's absolutely necessary that i use genuine honda transmission fluid in my car or can a substitute be used if it says that it can use in Honda. This is the first time i'm changing the fluid n i dnt understand the necessity of the genuine one.
Old 06-10-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Genuine Honda oil or not

Most people fall on two sides. Some will say YES you need honda oil because of their additives. Others will say NO. I stick with genuine stuff.
Old 06-10-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Stick with the honda transmission fluid- its one of the few fluids honda recommends you should use their "honda genuine fluid" that you should actually listen to.
Old 06-10-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

OE Honda

What's your mileage at ??

I change at 25k miles.
Old 06-11-2008
Registered!!

Maple50175 is an unknown quantity at this point

I work at Honda and they use Castol. Kinda weird. (for motor oil)
Old 06-11-2008
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maple50175
I work at Honda and they use Castol. Kinda weird. (for motor oil)
Our dealer used to have Castrol & then switched to ?? They allow me to bring my own oil for changes now. I have used Castrol brand motor oil for a lot of years now.
Old 06-11-2008
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

honda atf only!! or you will have hard shifting and premature wearing of parts.
Old 06-11-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gearbox
honda atf only!! or you will have hard shifting and premature wearing of parts.
Who said it was an automatic?
Old 06-17-2008
Registered!!

Dantevil is an unknown quantity at this point

yes it is automatic but genuine Honda fluid is hard to come by. I was told u get many gear issues with any other fluid but i would like a good alternative. have anyone gotten problems while using Catrol
Old 06-19-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbclark1
Who said it was an automatic?
cause we all know only cool people drive autos
Old 06-20-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Getting the wrong fluid will mess up your tranny for sure.

I'm sure there are alternatives to getting the Honda stuff, but I guess it's kind of silly to risk it.

If you don't get Honda fluid you'll have to make darn sure, double and triple check it's the right stuff.
Old 06-20-2008
Premium Member

as far as i know, theres nothing similar you can buy.
Old 08-07-2008
Registered!!

ugabuga is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless you are talking about automatic transmission oil, that's way too often.

I dont know about automatic but for manual i only use Honda oil and change it every 60k

Originally Posted by CraigW
OE Honda
What's your mileage at ??
I change at 25k miles.
Old 08-07-2008
Premium Member

yeah we were talking auto.
Old 08-11-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute

it sounds like Dantevil is asking about ATF (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID)

half the posts i see in here are talking about MOTOR OIL...

and YES, I would stick with Honda ATF fluid when replacing that...Jiffylube first offered to change my ATF, but then one of their other employees said NO, because Honda has their own special blend that is needed...
Old 08-15-2008
Registered!!

eviee1973 is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda uses a propriety blend of automatic trans fluid, Z1. I tried to use a non honda manual trans fluid (straight 30) I think, made it too difficult to shift, might be ok in warm climates. Trans fluid is inexpensive so why skimp out for the cost, be sure to get the aluminum crush sealing washers, should be changed each time
Old 08-17-2008

Albertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond reputeAlbertross has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manahoonie
it sounds like Dantevil is asking about ATF (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID)

half the posts i see in here are talking about MOTOR OIL...

and YES, I would stick with Honda ATF fluid when replacing that...Jiffylube first offered to change my ATF, but then one of their other employees said NO, because Honda has their own special blend that is needed...
That's funny, I work at Jiffylube.

Our MT vehicles require MTF from Honda, but apparently 10w-30 works as a substitute. I obviously put in Honda MTF in my tranny but I remember the viscosity being similar to 10w-30.

On the other hand, whenever an AT 7th generation Civic pops by for a transmission fluid service, we use Quaker State Multi-Vehicle ATF. We have a chart that shows all the acceptable alternatives to specific tranny fluids, and that is one of them.

But evidently, an alternative is never better than the original.
Old 08-19-2008
Premium Member

ouch, yeah in this case using anything but honda z1 in the autos will affect shift quality. wont be nearly as smooth as before.