Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Civic Fuel Economy Potential Fraud

Old 01-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trainingdragon is an unknown quantity at this point
Civic Fuel Economy Potential Fraud

I was getting my Civic serviced and noticed that there was an identical car on the showroom floor. Mine is an 06 EX coupe auto. Part of the reason I bought it was because the fuel economy was rated at 30/40. No matter how easy I drove and how much highway, I could never get more than about 35 MPG. Kind of frustrating. The 2008 identical car (at least it seems identical) has a window sticker that says 25/36. I can't find anything different about the 08. Why is the window sticker different? Is it that Honda figured out that these cars don't really get the fuel economy they claimed and corrected it? Is this something that could lead to a class action lawsuit against Honda.

Any thoughts anyone??

I feel like I didn't get what I paid for......

If I am wrong about any of this please let me know.

thanks
Old 01-12-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all
Re: Civic Fuel Economy Potential Fraud

No it is the new way that fuel economy is calculated so it would reflect more real world conditions. It was not fraud.
Old 01-12-2008
Registered!!

ryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to allryox82 is a name known to all

By the way, this is not just Honda, it is all car companies. I think it went into effect last year.
Old 01-12-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

yepp its the new standards. they used to do it with no ac (or any other parasitic drive train pieces), just the engine, and nothing over 2k rpm. Now they simulate practically everything in the real world of non-heavy footed drivers.
Old 01-12-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

its also just an estimate, not actual gas mileage, because i get 10mpg more than my window sticker said from teh factory... because of mods, but u cannot rely on the estimates from Honda, or any other manufacturer for that matter, take ur 35mpg and run
Old 01-13-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. You could be getting 22mpg like me.
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

Thanks guys for all of your input and responses. I have never seen this before so it raised flags for me. Normally you only see changes like that when there was some kind of change in the car/motor/drivetrain/transmission etc...

Greeen01civic4d how are you getting 10mpg more than window sticker? What mods have you put on that do that?

Also, side question and I apologize if I am asking in the wrong section - I am new to this forum.

Does anyone know if there is a turbo kit for the 06 Civic coupe EX (140 HP motor) auto trans?? I love my little car and it has descent power to it but it could use a little more punch for fun. I love the auto since I drive in traffic every day. that's why I chose the EX w/Auto. I also didn't really feel that the SI had that much more power. It seemed to just make a lot more noise but not really go much faster. Anyway, any turbo kits for mine??

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

iintake, header, no cat, no resonator, and flowmaster exhaust, with a stage 1 clutch, i just posted 33.5 mpg in the city on 93 octane 365 miles on 10.8 gallons, u do the math... i dunno, maybe its a fluke, plus, for now, im non-vtec
Old 01-13-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ I would think you'd be getting less. Whats your average MPG's over your past 10 tanks?

I read the new fuel economy estimates arent all bad- they make the american car companies look better in relation to the imports as compared to before. I dont remmeber how so dont quote me. Anyone know?

My worst was 23mpg on one tank- I was keeping the revs really high and buzzing around the back roads.. my best was 39.x with MOSTLY highway driving. I'm sure I could probably pull 42mpg of strictly highway driving in opt. conditions.
Old 01-13-2008
Banned

my overage over the last 7 tanks(had a hwy tank 8 ago) has been 30mpg city, and i the best ive gotten city was last week at 33.5 mpg city, and 41mpg hwy, my worst was 25mpg cruzin at 90mph for 4 hours, so i dunno if its just a fluke, but thats how it averages out, who knows why
Old 01-13-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I'll be heading back up to portland next weekend (110 miles) I will fill up right before I leave, and right when I arrive and see whats the best I can get.

Whats the ideal mph for best highway fuel economy?
Old 01-13-2008
Banned

if im trying for gas mileage, i usually do like 65-70, optimal is probably 55-60, but its just too slow for me, ur lx arent u?
Old 01-13-2008
Premium Member

Yeah, lx with an ex exhaust and future built motor with built ex head.
Old 01-13-2008
Banned

its cool, im lx too, my new head is on the way from Clint, should be here in a few weeks, and i already have the vafcII for it, so all i can do is wait
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

hey Triz, what kind of a civic do you have?

Any body have any response to my turbo kit question?
Old 01-13-2008
Registered!!

DonP is an unknown quantity at this point

nah its not fraud, they do those test in like controlled environments, not in the real world.
Old 01-13-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Trainingdragon
hey Triz, what kind of a civic do you have?
As far as fuel economy goes - 2k01 lx with full ex aftermarket exhaust and aem intake.
Old 01-13-2008
Diamond Member

Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light

yea triz, the new economy standards are actually done with factoring in the parasitic drive train losses on the engine like power steering and now they acutally rev them to a reasonalble amount. The old benchmark used to be the engine on a stand with no AC or p/s and 10secs to get to 45 or 55 i beleive. Im pretty sure on this, but I couldbe wrong. And I think I have heard of a turbo kit for the 8th gen (RG Engine?) But I cant remember what. I believe I saw it in a car magazine like car and driver or motor trend etc.
Old 01-14-2008
Registered!!

MSKJON is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to further complicate things guys but Honda also got caught last year with problems with their speedometer/odometer calibrations. What about the prospect that all Hondas miscalculate their milage by 1 or 2% ? I think I read about it on this forum but it may have also been in the regular news.