Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

How long will my clutch last?

Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1nahalf5 is an unknown quantity at this point
How long will my clutch last?

How's it going fellas?

I purchased a 94' DX Coupe yesterday. It's manual. I'm unexperienced. The mechanic I purchased it from says it has 25% left. He commented that an experienced driver will have another year on it. I will see how long it will last for me. The thing is, it dosen't have a tachometer. I'm basing my unexperienced judgement on how loud the engine is. I shift from 1st to 2nd at 20-25mph.

At the moment my main concern is learning to operate the vehicle without jerking movements. As far as downshifting goes, when I downshift from 2nd to 1st the engine lag I receive is okay for slowing down? (It's a little rough I mean the lag, but that's my driving it seems) [OR] While driving in 2nd gear and approaching a stop sign should I : a) Downshift from 2nd to 1st while going through engine lag as it lowers from 30-35 mph to 15-20 mph. Then clutch and brake. b) Still in second, approaching stop sign, press the clutch (all the way down) then go into neutral and let off the clutch and coast to the stop sign, then press and clutch and brake. c) Is it okay to have the car in 1st gear while holding the clutch and braking?

This was lol.
h**p://youtube.com/watch?v=DZU6Z0Ii-LA&mode=related&search=

I appreciate the help and knowledge from the experienced drivers.

Last edited by 1nahalf5; 06-13-2007 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

Re: How long will my clutch last?

The whipskie pictures.

Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

Whipskie pictures continued...

^^Got air ?^^

Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

Whipskie Pictures Continued....

Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

Not to long if I keep touching the clutch.
I'll stick to neither a nor b. I'll shift to neutral and brake without using the clutch.
I was using the clutch to brake.
Live and learn.
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

EGG_4ss4ssin should not be trusted

WHY IS THERE NO TACH....EWWW lol!!!!!

and btw your not supposed to dwn shift into 1st...

and when you dwn shift try to rev match so you dont burn your clutch out
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

Hey man. What is the best way to rev match without a tachometer?
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

true.... my friend was heere and he told me to tell you that...and now hes gone..

my suggestion is to buy a tach you know with a shift light and all...
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point

haha dude..just do whaever u want... we all learn from our mistakes... just **** up ur clutch and get a heavy duty one..stage one **** wit it ..
Old 06-19-2007
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 1nahalf5
Hey man. What is the best way to rev match without a tachometer?

Learn by trying. Depending on the gear and speed blip the throttle accordingly.
Old 06-19-2007
Registered!!

when your dwn shifting just rev up a lil like tap the gas then do it! you should be good
Old 06-20-2007
Registered!!

laopse is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait...when you guys say rev matching and blipping the throttle, are you referring to double clutching? or just after the clutch is in, blip the throttle, than shift...

And is there any benefit to either regular "clutch rev matching" and/or double clutching?
Old 06-20-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by laopse
Wait...when you guys say rev matching and blipping the throttle, are you referring to double clutching? or just after the clutch is in, blip the throttle, than shift...

And is there any benefit to either regular "clutch rev matching" and/or double clutching?
What do you guys think?
Old 06-20-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

wht you can do is when you approach a stop sign, put it into neutral, and just brake, and then just start of in first gear, or you can down shift into second, and then push the clutch in and brake and then start off in first gear again.

Now i know why people with 92-95 civics always do cluster swaps...that is ridiculous
Old 06-21-2007
Registered!!

laopse is an unknown quantity at this point

That doesn't really answer the question, anyone else have some insight?
Old 06-21-2007
Registered!!

exturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant futureexturbo6 has a brilliant future

i think you need a b16 or a gsr swap.
Old 06-21-2007
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough

Personally I double clutch when I am rev matching. I don't know if it matters too much though. Most of the time I just brake until I'm going the speed I was when I shifted and then I clutch and brake until I am stopped. Brake pads are a lot cheaper than cluthes.
Old 06-21-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, if you wanna save your clutch, just push it down, and use the brakes to stop, rather than downshifting. as far as rev matching, you just push the clutch down, tap the gas, and let the clutch up. the sound of the engine shouldn't change when the clutch re-engages, if you tapped the gas the right amount. if the engine revs when the clutch engages, tap the gas a little harder the next time. if the car lurches forward when you engage the clutch, don't tap the gas quite as hard the next time. I too have a dx with no tach, so I put one in, and now i rarely look at it. you really don't need a tach to drive a civic. you could swap out your cluster in the future, or add an aftermarket tach somewhere else in the car. just don't get a big, ricer tach. regarding your original question, about how long the clutch will last, no one can answer that for you. we have given you some ideas about how to make it last longer, but if you're inexperienced with an MT, and your clutch it worn out already, it's probably not going to last long. the one good thing about this is that a worn clutch is a bit more forgiving for learning on, than a new, tight one. my car is the first MT i've owned, and there was a definite learning curve for me the first couple weeks. I had a bitch of time with it, as the car had 25k on it, and the clutch was tight.

Last edited by AmbulanceMonkee; 06-21-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the roughMr_Plenty is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=AmbulanceMonkee;4205919]the sound of the engine shouldn't change when the clutch re-engages, if you tapped the gas the right amount. QUOTE]

impossible, lol the sound of the engine will change because your at a higher rpm in a lower gear. Another thing ive learned is that you shouldnt cruise to a red light or stop sign in "neutral" because if your rear ended you will end up in the intersection if there is one. Coasting in gear also saves gas. When downshifting you should do what everyone is saying and revmatch/blip the throttle. Push in the clutch, tap the gas, let out the clutch in a smooth continuous fashion. If its perfect there will be no lag or jolt. You should ever engine brake either (which is when you do not revmatch at all during the downshift, alot of drivers do this and claim to be "experienced drivers".)
Old 06-26-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

apparently, you misunderstood the point i was trying to make. the engine will rev when you tap the gas, but should not change at the exact moment the clutch engages as you let the pedal up after tapping the gas.