Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Engine on it's last leg??? Need advice...

Old 11-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
norick_fos is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Engine on it's last leg??? Need advice...

Hey all. My civic has been acting up lately. It's a '94 hatchback, with automatic, from Japan (literally from Japan with the steering wheel on the right side and all). About 3 months ago I came back from a month's vacation, having left the car parked outside and untouched. When I went to start the car it would crank but not turn over. I replaced the battery myself, thinking it was about time anyway, but it didn't change the situation. So, I got it towed to the on base facility here (where they speak english, of course).

After about a week or so they finally got to it and messed with it for 2 more days without any success. They then told me that it had to be the computer and, after i agreed, had it fixed out in town by a "trusted" Japanese shop that dealt with all their electronic repairs. Well, it came back but the car still didn't start. They said they called the shop again and the shop said that it had to be the ignition coils. So, they replaced those and it started fine.

However, I've noticed over the past few months that the engine is not handling so well. It idles much lower, almost to the point of stalling, and it shifts (automatic again) only at a much higher RPM (2,500-3,000 versus 1,500-2,000). I had the oil and oil filter changed, had the spark plugs replaced, and had the transmission fluid checked (but not replaced since they said it look fine). If anything, this made the situation worse.

So! For those who might know, does this sound like a computer problem, a transmission problem, or something more serious??? I know the car probably needs a full tune up but the auto shop on base (english speaking) doesn't do them and the shops out in town don't either (japanese speaking but their version of tune up, or engine check, for me is just oil and transmission...). What specifically should I tell them to replace or check to rule out the small stuff? ...Thanks in advance
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

06CivicHybrid is an unknown quantity at this point
hey where on Okinawa are you at?

i'm over at Hansen. i am a diesel mech over at 3 MHG and i am certified, on POV's, let me know
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

P.M. Sent should be there by now
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

Just PM'd you...near Foster but the car just hasn't been feeling right since it failed to start. I'm not sure if the computer was messed with and that's why the settings are off, along with the unbalanced shaky feeling of the engine itself, but there's definitely something wrong that the shops both on base and off base aren't worried about enough to recognize it...
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

i have not received the PM yet, i can try and help you out for free, but i need to go and have a look at it. ECU settings may be off.
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

I just PM'd you again 06CivicHybrid. Not too much into cars but I know motorcycles... I've been searching this sight for similar problems like I'm having and found several posts that mentioned faulty IACV/EACV, FICV, and map settings. Also the temp sensor, vacuum lines, and motor mounts were mentioned.

Since the car worked fine before they yanked out the computer and started looking through the engine I can only imagine that it is indeed a computer related problem. If one of the idle sensors was set incorrectly then I don't see how it would affect the engine transmission shifting or the "unbalanced" feeling of the engine I get during the entire time I drive the car (no matter the speed or RPMs). What equipment do you have to check the diagnostics and settings?
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

you can tell by how the engine is operating to see where your problem is coming from. the only way i could check it ( w/diagnostic equipment) is if KAB has an auto shop like Typhoon Motors over at Hansen and Foster.They need to supply the equipment
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

blue00si is an unknown quantity at this point
did they replace the ECU? or just fix it? its possible they replaced the ecu with one that has a diff. shift points or altered the shift points for some reason? as far as the idling that could be many things...improper a/f ratio..dirty air filter..clogged injectors..MAF/MAP sensor going out..just to name a few
Old 11-10-2006
Registered!!

They didn't tell me what the out of town shop replaced on the computer, they just said their was something that needed to be fixed with that. They handle so many cars on the base that it's impossible to ask someone about it now and receive an in-depth answer like that, unfortunately.

I just wish I could find a Honda dealership, or equivalent, that could accurately gauge the specs in order to see whether those settings mentioned are out of spec for the year and model. One that speaks english anyway...regardless of the cost, because if this problem gets any worse then I'm afraid the engine might actually be done for.
Old 11-11-2006
Registered!!

if you need help finding a shop (Honda Dealership) i can ask Sgt. Stewart he speaks japanese and english pretty well and if i ask him i am sure he can help you out with communications with the dealer.
Old 11-12-2006
Registered!!

Thanks alot for the help. I can honestly say I didn't expect any such offer of assistance. I'll be off for the next few days, running errands and catching up with the bills, but I'll try to give you a call when you're off this coming weekend.
Old 11-13-2006
Registered!!

well i am going to be off on friday time currently unknown and off Saturday, Sunday i have GDO (Guard Officer Duty) all day, so just e-mail me or call.