Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Evaporate system problem with fuel in vent line

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leejm12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Evaporate system problem with fuel in vent line

need some help. Got a odb code on the Evap system about a month ago that indicted a wiring issue. My back had gone out at this time, so I cldnt DIY it. Took it into my local shop and found out a squirrel had eaten thru the vent valve solenoid wires. They fixed it and everything was fine for about a month. Then a few days ago, fuel was pouring out of the car when running the engine. With my back better, I crawled underneath the car and had my son turn on the engine. Fuel immediately was pouring out of a crack in the vent line that goes from the charcoal canister up to the fuel cap. I think the vent valve is not closing and maybe the purge valve is not opening causing fuel to pump into the vent line. Does this make sense? I am going out today to get a Haynes book to see how to test it but since I can't run the car, I was thinking of disconnecting the fuel tank from the charcoal canister , so fuel doesn't ,poor all over the place, then troubleshot the two solenoids while the car is running. Does that make sense? Anyone ever seen this issue with gas backing up into the vent lines? I know I need to replace the canister and probably both solenoids, but I need to make sure the wires r working without gas going all over the place? Thoughts? Thnks
Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

Re: Evaporate system problem with fuel in vent line

Sorry, it's a 2008 Honda Civic coupe with a 1.8 liter engine
Old 10-21-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Do you keep pumping gas after it clicks off? Is the check engine light on?
Old 10-21-2018
Registered!!

The gas just pours out of vent line with engine running. Hard starting so suspect purge valve as well. No error codes which I don't understand. I would think if the vent and purge solenoids weren't working, there wld be a code. But no codes. Puzzled.
Old 10-21-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Overfilling the tank is usually what causes fuel to get into the wrong places.
Old 11-12-2018
Registered!!

Looks like it isn't Evap system after all. Disconnected fuel pump relay. Removed fuel tank vapor hose from fuel pump to Evap canister. Replaced relay and started car. Gas was pouring out still. So crawled underneath after safety precautions performed and saw gas wasn't pouring from vent line, but from filler hose. Just looked like it was from the angle I was at the first time. Anyone think of why gas would pour out of filler hose at fuel tank when car is running? Car runs fine but the fuel pump has to be creating some pressure in the tank for fuel,to pour out of the inlet hose at the tank.
Old 11-12-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Rodent ate something?

You'll have to put your eyeballs on the actual leak source to find out where/what/why.

remove the pump access cover (under rear seat or trunk floor), inspect the top of the pump area and its hoses
Old 11-12-2018
Registered!!

Agree. I am thinking the seal on the fuel pump or fuel line is leaking since it pours off the side and looks like the filler inlet tube. But the more I think of it, the fuel pump makes the most sense with the lasted testing showing how the fuel was coming off the tank. Thnks
Old 11-12-2018
Registered!!

Latest testing. Lol
Old 11-12-2018

I still expect it to be rodent damage lol