Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Water Pump

Old 09-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmz2123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Water Pump

I just purchased a 1998 Civic Ex and it seems to need a new water pump. I already replaced the radiator, upper and lower radiator hose, spark plugs, oil change and the thermostat. After that noticed it was leaking coolant and dripping where the oil pan is located. My question is what is the degree of difficulty of changing the water pump and the timing belt? I'm not expert mechanic and know what I'm getting int first.

Last edited by jmz2123; 09-02-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-03-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Water Pump

Originally Posted by jmz2123
I just purchased a 1998 Civic Ex and it seems to need a new water pump. I already replaced the radiator, upper and lower radiator hose, spark plugs, oil change and the thermostat. After that noticed it was leaking coolant and dripping where the oil pan is located. My question is what is the degree of difficulty of changing the water pump and the timing belt? I'm not expert mechanic and know what I'm getting int first.
Can you hear any squealing from the waterpump area?
Is the drip located on driver's side of engine near lower timing belt cover?
Does it overheat?
Can you see coolant flowing in radiator at operating temp while revving the engine?

I am asking these questions because though it sounds by your description as a waterpump weep-hole leak it could possibly be a head-gasket breach which is very common with these cars. Typically, with a head gasket breach there is coolant loss in radiator and coolant gain in the reservoir so by your description that doesn't seem to be the case. Concerning the waterpump change if you don't know the mileage, lenth of time (year) or if it's within 10k miles of the timing belt replacement period you might as well change the timing belt, tensioner (and spring) and waterpump at the same time. Also a good time to replace the coolant if the above applies.

Download this free service manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/46...nda-Civic.html Timing belt, tensioner and waterpump is a somewhat daunting first-time repair but between the service manual, youtube videos and this forum it should go pretty smooth. The most difficult part is removing the crank bolt however, you can rent (free) at autozone or O'reillys a Honda crank pulley holder that makes the job easier if you don't have proper air tools.