View Poll Results: Will polishing the inside of an intake manifold improve performance?
Yes, it will improve performance
0%
No, it won’t do anything at all
100.00%
No, it will reduce performance
0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Chassis bracing

There's so much metal in between the rear strut tower braces that I don't think there will be any twist there

If you have sunroof, remove and weld a plate. That will stiffen chassis more
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
There's so much metal in between the rear strut tower braces that I don't think there will be any twist there

If you have sunroof, remove and weld a plate. That will stiffen chassis more
Good points. There is quite a bit of metal between the strut towers in the back. Also, I don't have a sunroof, but I'm sure it's not good for rigidity.
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

D17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the roughD17VTECPOWER is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by GolNat
The only other one worth it to me would be a rear Strut Brace. I had a subframe Brace from Progress and I don’t think it did much other then look cool. It was mounted onto an already solid piece of metal.

Problem with rear upper bar is it takes up trunk space!

There was a subframe Brace too but I’m not sure how well it worked.
Thanks. So you're saying that you felt an improvement from a rear strut tower brace? Also, you're right that the subframe is obviously quite solid already, so I don't really see the point in bracing it either.
Old 03-16-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I never had a rear strut brace for the car but considered getting one.

To clarify as I just re read my post and realized it made no sense. I had a rear subframe Brace (Progress) and l don’t think it did much. Companies used to make front subframe braces for the EM2 that looked like they might make an improvement. The general consensus when I was researching it way back when was a front one helped. None of this is scientific of course.
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

What's so special about Honda power steering fluid?

I just put my power steering system back on, and I filled the system with ATF because that's what I have extra of. I know I'm technically not supposed to, so there's no need to tell me. I've used standard power steering fluid, as well as ATF in Honda power steering systems for years with no problems, and I know other people that do too. What's different about Honda power steering fluid? Is the viscosity different or something?
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

Re: 2005 Civic strut bar

Awesome!! It looks great!!!

Yes I just sent you iTrader rating so I think you can respond with that. If not go under my username and you will see iTrader rating.
Thanks for the positive rating. I always do my very best to communicate clearly and respond quickly when buying or selling something, so I'm glad that this deal worked out so well for both of us.
Old 03-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: What's so special about Honda power steering fluid?

It's what the pump and rack are designed to used., problems may develop if the wrong fluid is used. Like putting the wrong viscosity oil in your engine, it may work (for a bit) but eventually it's going to cause problems.
Old 03-16-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

I've seen problems when people put PS fluid into a system that calls for AP4 ATF. The system makes very loud squealing noises.

But I can't recall ever seeing someone us an ATF in a PS fluid system. Perhaps nothing goes wrong in this situation as you have mentioned.
Old 03-16-2018

mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

What will help is a tie bar between the seat belt top mounts.

Even more so if you're running no rear seats then you can run a bar between the seat belt mounts and then an x frame to where the rear seats used to be.
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
Perhaps nothing goes wrong in this situation as you have mentioned.
The owners manual specifically says to never use ATF, and if normal P/S fluid is added in an emergency, the system needs to be flushed and filled with Honda fluid as soon as possible.
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
It's what the pump and rack are designed to used., problems may develop if the wrong fluid is used. Like putting the wrong viscosity oil in your engine, it may work (for a bit) but eventually it's going to cause problems.
Yes, I understand. However, what I'm asking is what makes Honda fluid different than standard fluid.
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

What will help is a tie bar between the seat belt top mounts.
Do those exist, or would it have to be custom made?
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

Can AGM batteries leak acid?

I noticed a small amount of clear liquid by the negative terminal on my Optima Yellow Top D34 battery. I don't see how water would get there since it's mounted in my trunk, but I don't see how acid could leak out of an AGM battery either. The battery is from 2007, but it still works fine. I recently had it tested, and it tested at above its CCA specs. I wiped the liquid off and tilted the battery and nothing leaked out. Do I need to worry about this? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2018

They are known sometimes as "seat belt bars" or "harness bars". I'm not sure if there is a company who makes them for 01-05 civics. I've seen them for EP3s (type r), DC5s (rsx) and older EG civics.

there are also c pillar x braces, but these mount in the rear, not off of the seat belt posts. With how the em2 is made I don't think this would be as effective as it is in hatchbacks.

Then you have half cage roll bars.

Old 03-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

you will need to ask a honda engineer, duh. Not us
Old 03-16-2018

There is the possibility that it is marketing, to increase sales of honda branded PS fluid, or customers returning to honda for servicing.

There is also a possibility that the seals used in the honda racks are prone to damage from certain chemicals found in other types of PS fluid.

There are PS fluids that list safe use in multiple vehicles as well; everything from BMW to Gm to Honda.
Old 03-16-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

There is the possibility that it is marketing, to increase sales of honda branded PS fluid, or customers returning to honda for servicing.

There is also a possibility that the seals used in the honda racks are prone to damage from certain chemicals found in other types of PS fluid.

There are PS fluids that list safe use in multiple vehicles as well; everything from BMW to Gm to Honda.
doesn't explain the engine oil used in the transmissions
Old 03-16-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Can AGM batteries leak acid?

It was probably just condensation. Heat can build up inside the battery and when it escapes it hits cooler air and condensates. If it tested good then no need to worry.
Old 03-16-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by D17VTECPOWER
The owners manual specifically says
You can do whatever you want with your cars.
I will continue to use the recommended fluid, and I will never have to stand in front of a judge trying to explain why I didn't use the manufacturers recommended fluid in a customers car.

Ya know what's funny......It's damn rare to see power steering issues on certain cars, but when we do see a specific failure on those particular cars it's almost a given that it's been serviced elsewhere.. Draw your own conclusion from that.
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
You can do whatever you want with your cars.
I will continue to use the recommended fluid, and I will never have to stand in front of a judge trying to explain why I didn't use the manufacturers recommended fluid in a customers car.

Ya know what's funny......It's damn rare to see power steering issues on certain cars, but when we do see a specific failure on those particular cars it's almost a given that it's been serviced elsewhere.. Draw your own conclusion from that.
I agree. However, I take more risks with my cars than I would with someone else's car. I would NEVER do something questionable to a customer's car.
Old 03-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

The owners manual specifically says to never use ATF, and if normal P/S fluid is added in an emergency, the system needs to be flushed and filled with Honda fluid as soon as possible.
So therefore?
Old 03-16-2018
Registered!!

It was probably just condensation. Heat can build up inside the battery and when it escapes it hits cooler air and condensates. If it tested good then no need to worry.
Ok, thanks. I guess if it does it again, I could sprinkle baking soda on it and see if it bubbles. I'm not sure if it's even possible for an AGM battery to leak. But yea, the battery tested good, so I'm not too worried. I don't remember the numbers, but the CCA tested at well over what the battery was advertised at.
Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Sure they can leak acid. AGM part just reduces chance lead plates break free and short out.

Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Sure they can leak acid. AGM part just reduces chance lead plates break free and short out.

I thought the acid was absorbed in a spongy material, so therefore it can't really leak?
Old 03-17-2018
Registered!!

I noticed a small amount of clear liquid by the negative terminal on my Optima Yellow Top D34 battery. I don't see how water would get there since it's mounted in my trunk, but I don't see how acid could leak out of an AGM battery either. The battery is from 2007, but it still works fine. I recently had it tested, and it tested at above its CCA specs. I wiped the liquid off and tilted the battery and nothing leaked out. Do I need to worry about this? Thanks.
UPDATE: Apparently AGM batteries can leak acid. It did it again, so I put a pinch of baking soda on the liquid to test it, and it's acid. I think it's broke after 11 years. I cleaned around the terminal and smeared silicone around it to try to seal it. Hopefully it quits leaking.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	F653F964-D22C-475C-A310-40D878B100DA.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	112062  
Old 03-18-2018
Registered!!

How do throttle body spacers work?

I'm confused about how throttle body spacers work. I know that they go between the throttle body and intake manifold, but why would that help anything? They claim more power, torque and MPG, but how do they work?
Old 03-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: How do throttle body spacers work?

Originally they isolated the metal carb from the “hot” steel intake.

Since our cars have plastic intake not really a heat transfer issue, in fact our cars pump coolant into the throttle body to warm it up / keep it from getting too hot.

As long as it comes with a cool sticker, you can get something useful from it.

Old 03-18-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Originally they isolated the metal carb from the “hot” steel intake.

Since our cars have plastic intake not really a heat transfer issue, in fact our cars pump coolant into the throttle body to warm it up / keep it from getting too hot.

As long as it comes with a cool sticker, you can get something useful from it.

Actually, mine has an aluminium intake. I presume a TB spacer wouldn't do any good though.
Old 03-18-2018

Since it's after the TB they also, in effect, increase the manifold plenum size.

This is more important for older vehicles when people "tuned" physically rather than with software for N/A builds.

Back in the day if you wanted to jack up your fuel intake by adding a larger carb. then you needed (for some vehicles), to increase the flow of air into the engine. So larger throttle bodies, intake manifolds, intakes and TB spacers where used to try and match the air flow to the fuel flow.

People still do this but tunable ECUs make it much easier to match air and fuel ratios.
Old 03-18-2018
Registered!!

Since it's after the TB they also, in effect, increase the manifold plenum size.
Would more plenum volume be a good thing on a MPFI engine? I thought a larger plenum volume would deaden throttle response. The whole point of ITBs is to basically eliminate the volume in the intake manifold that's under vacuum. The less volume under vacuum, the faster air will fill the space and the quicker the engine will respond to throttle.

Quick Reply: D17VTECPOWER threads consolidated - how a member should not behave