Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

2002 Civic Leaking Gas

Old 11-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nerksick is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Civic Leaking Gas

Hey everybody!
My 2002 civic has been leaking gas for a month or so now and I’m looking for some advice on where I should check. I’ve noticed it leaks most when I’m parked. I don’t smell gas at all while driving but while parked it smells horribly. The leak appears to be toward the front-center of the car, as this is where I have found countless puddles...I mean puddles, like quite a bit of gas. I have noticed my car doesn’t speed up very well and the gas pedal kind of hesitates to reach high speeds, but I’ve assumed it’s simply because it’s old. I’ve read into the “gas tank filter” being an issue, but I’m not sure how that could cause a leak towards the front of the car as I’ve found the gas tank filter is located beneath the back seats. I’m new to fixing my own car (clearly) like many of you I just got tired of the ridiculously high labor bills at my autoshop. So, any advice helps. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-23-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2002 Civic Leaking Gas

links are probably leaking
you should stop driving the car, like yesterday.
hot exhaust and engine parts + leaking gas are a really bad idea
Old 11-23-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The white plastic part of the tank is known to crack.
Old 11-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

as I’ve found the gas tank filter is located beneath the back seats
Remove back seat bottom cushion
remove access plate
see what's happening under the plate

but I’m not sure how that could cause a leak towards the front of the car
The problem solver would be under the car to see how it got there and where it came from

Search this Thread