Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Ear skreetching steering noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
austinbeertony is an unknown quantity at this point
Ear skreetching steering noise

Hey everyone, I have a 98 civic and I have a video demonstrating the problem.

https://youtu.be/kkycvIPPhYc

this problem persists when I turn the steering when I'm moving at slow speed and esspecially when I'm stationed. The video doesn't do it justice because in real life, it's war screeching loud. Could be I have to lubricate any steering components. It is not my ball joints or my bearings because those were replaced due to another repair (my axel snapped). There is also another problem with my brakes that cause my wheels to squeal and squeak when cruising down the road and then stops squeaking when I brake, but happens only when I drive for more than 20 mins. Maybe it can do with that but I highly doubt it.

Thank you all for your help
Old 09-22-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Ear skreetching steering noise

Sounds like binding rubber..bushings?

Put the front end up on jacks, put key in the first 1st position, with engine off have someone turn steering wheel full left lock to full right lock while you listen for noise. if it has power steering repeat procedure with engine on.

Brakes: inspect (for bends), clean and re-grease (Napa Syl-Glide synthetic) caliper slider pins.