Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

A/C stops working on longer drives

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017
Suz
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suz is an unknown quantity at this point
A/C stops working on longer drives

I have a 2010 civic and my a/c works perfectly day to day, but anytime I drive over 2 hours my a/c just quits working. I have to pull over and turn my car off for a while, or turn my a/c off completely for 20-30 mins and then it'll blow cold air again for a while until I start driving again. Anytime I've taken it in they tell me it's blowing cold air so they can't diagnose anything being wrong... however, I'd have to drive 2 hours on the interstate for it to stop working and then how would I get them the car? I just want any ideas for what may be wrong so I can go in with some ideas.
Old 06-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A/C stops working on longer drives

my a/c just quits working.
What exactly DOES it do then? What do you see/feel/hear/smell?
Elaborate in detail please.

Last edited by ezone; 06-18-2017 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2017
Suz
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
What exactly DOES it do then? What do you see/feel/hear/smell?
Elaborate in detail please.
It begins to blow very hot air and it makes a shhhhh sound. There is no smell.
Old 06-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Ok so it continues to blow air out of the dash vents....

You'll need to get it to quit cooling-- then open the hood and do some checking, need to know the status of:
see if both radiator fans are still running
and see if the compressor clutch is engaged and spinning, or not

You might want to check what the clutch is like when it does work so you can tell at a glance if it's engaged or not later

How many miles on the car?

Last edited by ezone; 06-19-2017 at 08:03 PM.