Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

OEM Coolant vs AFTERMARKET COOLANT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eager2learn is an unknown quantity at this point
OEM Coolant vs AFTERMARKET COOLANT

I searched the forums and Google but got no satisfying answers.

My neighborhood garage mechanic, Phil, says to get the extended life 150,000 miles 50/50 coolant from Autozone because all coolant are basically the same.

To help keep your engine cool and reduce corrosion.
Old 05-29-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: OEM Coolant vs AFTERMARKET COOLANT

Can almost guarantee everyone's gonna say go with OEM Honda blue. I've been rocking Preston 50/50 for... as long as I've had my car with no issues
Old 05-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

because all coolant are basically the same.
Sounds like your guy Phil is a bit outdated in the coolant technology department, or he's never experienced first hand some of the problems incorrect fluid service can cause. Or refuses to believe, if he has seen the problems.

"I've never had a problem doing it that way before." <---That's a link son, click it

get the extended life 150,000 miles 50/50 coolant from Autozone
Well....your car is already old and near the end of its life, yes?
Go ahead and dump in whatever you want....let's use your car as a guinea pig.
Pick the cheapest stuff you can find there.
Whats the worst that can happen?

To help keep your engine cool and reduce corrosion.
Yeah, antifreeze is intended to do that....but it doesn't always end up working that way.

I searched the forums and Google but got no satisfying answers.
I don't really want to know what is 'satisfying' to you LOL

There is info available if you know what you are looking for.
It can be kinda boring though.

Can almost guarantee everyone's gonna say go with OEM Honda blue.
Yep.
Some people can't afford to do it right.
I cant afford to do it wrong.

If you absolutely refuse to get it from a dealership, correct and compatible products are available in the aftermarket but you have to do your own research, you can't rely on the pimple faced parts pimps at the Zone for good information.

There are probably more than a dozen different coolant formulations available.
At the aftermarket level, color alone does not distinguish between various coolant types, the color is only a dye.

Car manufacturers specify coolant requirements to address the specific needs of the
cars they build, the materials used in their cooling systems, and take into account the water quality in the country of sale.
Our water quality varies greatly from region to region and even city to city (acidic/alkali, minerals, etc).
Flint Michigan water, anyone?

One vehicle manufacturer uses water pumps that create significant cavitation that requires specialized protection.
Another manufacturers water pumps also had the same issues but were modified to reduce cavitation when {a widely known specialty coolant} was employed.
Honda kept on using water pump seals that seeped when coolant containing silicates was used.
Cooling systems that contain certain types of nylon are vulnerable to coolants containing carboxylic acid.

Incorrectly diluting coolant can increase pump cavitation, which can lead to water pump damage, cylinder head damage, heater core and radiator damage.
Excess dilution can also lead to erosion, corrosion, and electrolysis.

Water quality variation and concentration issues are addressed now by selling many antifreeze formulas premixed with demineralized or deionized water. No more tap water, well water, or rain/ditch water to corrode the systems.

Certain coolant types shouldn't be mixed because they approach corrosion protection differently, which leads to serious problems within the cooling system.

Let us know when you find a universal coolant that meets the 'need silicate' requirements of one group of vehicle manufacturers while simultaneously meeting the 'silicate free' requirements of another group of manufacturers.

Oh hell this turned into a long post. I need sleep.
Old 05-30-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone

Incorrectly diluting coolant can increase pump cavitation, which can lead to water pump damage, cylinder head damage, heater core and radiator damage.
Excess dilution can also lead to erosion, corrosion, and electrolysis.

Certain coolant types shouldn't be mixed because they approach corrosion protection differently, which leads to serious problems within the cooling system.

Let us know when you find a universal coolant that meets the 'need silicate' requirements of one group of vehicle manufacturers while simultaneously meeting the 'silicate free' requirements of another group of manufacturers.

Explains why my water pump is leaking.

I'm going with OEM.

Looks like I've been searching up the wrong words in my search.
Old 05-30-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Pentosin Pentofrost A3: http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...st_spec_A3.pdf is the same as Honda according to spec sheet. Might even be the manufacturer for Honda?.. and Honda just sticks their label on it and sells it for twice as much?

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-30-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The correct Pentosin would be a good choice IMO
Old 05-30-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
The correct Pentosin would be a good choice IMO
Seems Pentosin is a better choice in general compared to Peak, Zerex, Prestone, ect.. Pentosin's specs are usually identical to manufacturer's OEM and they dummy it down with identical dye color as well: Honda = blue dye, Toyota = pink or red dye .. and so on.
Old 05-31-2017
Registered!!

HondaPartsConne is an unknown quantity at this point

Just get the OEM Honda Coolant. Its easy that way.
Old 05-31-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Megalodong
Pentosin Pentofrost A3: http://www.pentosin.net/specsheets/P...st_spec_A3.pdf is the same as Honda according to spec sheet. Might even be the manufacturer for Honda?.. and Honda just sticks their label on it and sells it for twice as much?
ooooh. Thank you.

Originally Posted by HondaPartsConne
Just get the OEM Honda Coolant. Its easy that way.
I'm going to compare the spec sheets and see how close they are. I like to save $$$$$$$
Old 05-31-2017

I like to save $$$$$$$
I'm selective about how and where I waste my money LOL