Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Best brand for fluids (brake/transmission/coolant/washer)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SidCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best brand for fluids (brake/transmission/coolant/washer)?

Stock 99 - Ohhh see I didn't even think of that - drain plug not being back on! Thanks!

Ezone - Haha!
Old 10-08-2017
Banned

user 73921 is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody used the O'Riellys Master pro power steering fluid for Hondas and Acuras? Im trying to baster the old fluid out today and cannot find the oem fluid.
Old 10-08-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Irishblessing
Has anybody used the O'Riellys Master pro power steering fluid for Hondas and Acuras? Im trying to baster the old fluid out today and cannot find the oem fluid.
Prestone sells PS fluid that is labeled for Honda: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...Fluid/20850664
Old 10-08-2017
Banned

Ill check walmart then, just replaced the brake fluid with prestone dot4. Its hard finding geniune honda fluids at stores, and living on base ordering it is a hassle. So if its not OEM but labeled for honda then thats fine?

Last edited by user 73921; 10-08-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-08-2017

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Ill check walmart then, just replaced the brake fluid with prestone dot4. Its hard finding geniune honda fluids at stores, and living on base ordering it is a hassle. So if its not OEM but labeled for honda then thats fine?
Perhaps? Here's the OEM P/S fluid: http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-P...8206-9002.aspx

The only way to know for sure is to compare the MSDS of each product to see if the same ingredients and percentages are used in the OEM and aftermarket formulas.

Other option is to read forum reviews on the product and then decide for yourself if it's a product you are willing to use (at your own risk). I've used it to top up p/s fluid on a 6th gen Civic but, haven't used for a drain and fill. No ill effects noticed after top up.

You won't find Honda OEM products in local parts store. You'll have to check with the local Honda dealership's parts department or order online.
Old 10-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? Every dealership in the country sells it!

FWIW a former cow-orker worked for Oreillys and did use their fluid that clearly stated it was for Honda and Acura only, and reported no issues in his Acura TL

DO NOT pour in anything that says universal or all cars, lists multiple brands, it better not say stop leak or seals leaks, and DO NOT pour in any red fluid or ATF.

Hondas PS fluid is about the color of clean motor oil.

compare the MSDS of each product
Good thinking!

Last edited by ezone; 10-08-2017 at 05:54 PM. Reason: quoted wrong line
Old 10-08-2017
Banned

I haven't gone to the dealer, i have no time during the week and their closed on weekends, ive only been looking around repair shops, auto parts stores. I decided to go with the Prestone DOT4 for the brakes and Prestone for Honda/Acura for the power steering. I used the turkey baster method as i am limited on tools, so ill just keep filling and draining.

Ill probably drain coolant tomorrow, coolant seems to be another fluid people are recommending OEM but im thinking the Peak 50 50 will suffice?
Old 10-08-2017

coolant seems to be another fluid people are recommending OEM but im thinking the Peak 50 50 will suffice?
There's reasons people recommend OEM. The closest coolant to Honda OEM is Pentosin's Pentrofrost A3. I've read the MSDS for both OEM and A3..both use the same ingredients and quantities. What's the point of you asking which fluids to use and then you go and use whatever's the easiest and/or cheapest anyway..without regards to outcome?
Old 10-08-2017
Banned

Originally Posted by Megalodong
There's reasons people recommend OEM. The closest coolant to Honda OEM is Pentosin's Pentrofrost A3. I've read the MSDS for both OEM and A3..both use the same ingredients and quantities. What's the point of you asking which fluids to use and then you go and use whatever's the easiest and/or cheapest anyway..without regards to outcome?
i used your recommendation on the Power steering fluid. I'm taking into consideration recommendations and accessibility, cost isn't so much an issue; delivery of fluids on base may be an issue but ill try and see.

I ordered the Honda PS fluid, would the method i used with the turkey baster be ok to use with the new fluid, more than likely it would mix with the Prestone fluid i have in there?

Last edited by user 73921; 10-08-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-08-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Peak
Does it contain silicone/silicates?

Hondas water pump seals are more prone to leakage when that type is used.
Old 10-08-2017
Banned

Originally Posted by ezone
Does it contain silicone/silicates?

Hondas water pump seals are more prone to leakage when that type is used.
Im not sure, ill look at it tonight.
I just decided to buy the OEM coolant along with the OEM PS Fluid and ill change it next weekend. Lucky i don't drive much during the week so i dont think it will be an issue.

Ill just stick to the OEM stuff from now on.
I'm not going to change the Prestone DOt4 I changed today for awhile though.
Old 10-08-2017

The brake fluid should be fine.
Old 10-08-2017
Banned

Thanks for the help fellas
Old 10-08-2017

Ill just stick to the OEM stuff from now on.
Now that's thinking with your dipstick Jimmy!
Old 10-12-2017
Banned

I replaced the Prestone for Honda today with the Honda PS. I was so influenced by this video^^

BTW the Peak long life 50/50 is phosphate and silicone free, but i ordered the Honda blue coolant and am going to use that, maybe flush it with the Peak first.

Last edited by user 73921; 10-12-2017 at 03:47 PM.