EGR fix - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-18-2015   #1  
Registered!!

RNC4806 is an unknown quantity at this point
EGR fix

Hello everyone I'm new to this so just bear ( I hope I spelled that right) with me. I have a 97 Honda Civic HX with 155k on it.
I had my check engine light came on and it was my EGR valve, 170 bucks at Autozone. I did some research and gave this a try..... I used "Seafoam" you can buy it at any parts store or walmart for 8 bucks give and take. I bought the 16oz can not the area ol can. What I did was disconnected the vaccum line from the brake booster that goes into the engine and added it that way. To be honest I used all of it cause it sucked it out pretty quick. Really you need to use about 1/3 to 1/2 of it. Anyways when disconnect the brake booster line FROM the booster to the engine the engine will rev up and down then start adding the seafoam, you will see white smoke so don't freak out, after you add the 1/3 to 1/2 can turn the engine off and let it sit for about I say 5 to 10 minutes, reconnect the brake vaccum line, disconnect your NEGATIVE battery cable for about 30 seconds and reconnect it back. start up your car, drive it around a couple of miles. Your check engine light should not come back on and you will feel better performance in your Honda. I hope that this helps.
RNC4806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #2  
Moderator of Rice

mac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to allmac25 is a name known to all
Re: EGR fix

It's better to have the car off.
Disconnect the brake booster and conect the Fuel system cleaner kit/seafoam.
Have a friend start the car, hold the rpm at 2500.
Start adding the cleaner slowly.
The idle will drop, get your friend to depress the accelerator further to keep the rpm at 2500.
Wait untill the cleaner is completely through.
Let the engine keep running at 2500 for a few seconds until you hear the rpm rise up again.
this signals that the remaining cleaner is completely burnt off and will not cause starting issues later.
shut down the engine.
reconnect the brake booster.
mac25 is offline   Reply With Quote