how do you clean gas cans? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2013   #1  
Registered!!

Blackkloud101 is an unknown quantity at this point
how do you clean gas cans?

I recieved this gas can and i asked the guy what he used it for and he said he used it for fuel for his chainsaw.. i looked inside it and has a black sludge at the bottom. how do i clean it out for safe use to avoid engine damage?
Blackkloud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #2  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: how do you clean gas cans?

Seriously? You can probably buy a new 1 gallon can for like $12. Go buy one if you need it that bad.

The sludge is probably 2 cycle oil and varnished gasoline. Splash a little fresh gas in it and let it soak several days, shake it around from time to time.

Toss some gravel in it and shake the snot out of it (strap it to a paint can shaker?), maybe you can agitate it clean. (This actually is one way to clean up a rusted gas tank too.)
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013   #3  
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

throw a lit match in it.
lowlife9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013   #4  
Registered!!

danwat12345 has a spectacular aura aboutdanwat12345 has a spectacular aura about

Put the can in the bottom of your hot tub for a few days.
But seriously there is stuff that is supposed to neutralize oil I think. It was used in that big oil spill, it's called 'Corexit'. There are probably consumer level products like that, that you can buy.
danwat12345 is offline   Reply With Quote