Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Car won't start after maintenance

Old 04-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboturtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Car won't start after maintenance

We bought a 1998 high mileage civic about a month ago. The car is in great shape, no issues at all. We took it to our trusted mechanic to perform regular maintenance for us. Yesterday, the following was done - Labor: Timing Belt - Remove and Replace (with A/C); Crankshaft oil seal - remove and replace (front); Timing Belt tensioner - remove and replace; valve adjustment. Parts: NBH Timing Component Kit; Universal Coolant; Camshaft Seal; Crankshaft seal (front) AC Belt; Alternator Belt; Power Steering Belt; Motor Mount Front; Valve Cover Gasket Set - Sorry for the list - but I don't know exactly what any of this is Anyway, 700.00 later, I picked up the car and went to get my husband from work. About 20 miles into the drive, I lost acceleration - pulled off the road and now the car will not start - it tries - but start completely. No battery issues, etc. We had the car towed back to the shop and suggested perhaps the timing was off. The mechanic was offended and said no way - they are still looking at it now, but state that the car is flooded because the injectors are wide open. Is this something that could have happened as a result of what we had done yesterday? I just want to make sure if that is the case that the shop is willing to accept responsibility. I've been at my job for 10 years and still make mistakes - and certainly wouldn't be offended is someone suggested that. Thanks for any input.
Also - we had the car in last week for oil/transmission fluid change - brake cleaning, general checkup, etc. And were told that the car seemed fine but that due to the mileage a timing belt would be a good idea - which is why we did the above work. If there was an issue with the fuel system, shouldn't they have seen it one of the two times they had the car all day?
Old 04-25-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turboturtle is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Car won't start after maintenance

Shop is saying that distributor needs to be replaced and yes this happens with no warning ...can someone validate this for me please
Old 04-25-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Car won't start after maintenance

What codes? What evidence?
They want to throw an entire distributor at it? Why not just the bad part inside?

I assume it has lost spark, that is why the spark plugs appear to be flooded with gas.

If the ignition coil went bad while you were driving, it was just time for that to happen. I'd expect the car has well over 100,000 miles on it.

I'd replace the coil by itself, not a whole (low quality) aftermarket distributor.

I've had the coil quit on a couple of cars WHILE in the shop. Try to explain that to a customer.