What weight oil?? - Honda Civic Forum


Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2012   #1  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0
grease monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
What weight oil??

I have my 2002 civic SOHC. I have always used 05/20 castrol syntec edge but my civic has 207K miles. Its starting to slowly burn oil. Do you guys think I should move up weight to maybe 10/30 or what to you guys recommend??
grease monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #2  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
iTrader: (95)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NV
Age: 37
Posts: 51,298
Rep Power: 718
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What weight oil??

anything over 100k i would use 5w30. it will usually fix any slow leaks you have. if you are burning oil, try auto-rx.com treatment and it will greatly reduce it. our old accord went from burning almost a quart a month to now a quart a year. and it runs like a new engine. after the auto rx treatment, try running valvoline maxlife 5w30 for better protection and even less oil burning. if you still have some issues, switch to 10w30 maxlife but only if you live mostly in place where its above freezing most of the year. if you have cold winters, stick with 5w30.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #3  
Registered!!
 
mattandchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 31
Rep Power: 0
mattandchris is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What weight oil??

I only have 30K on my 2010 civic and I am running 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm OK, right?
mattandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #4  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0
grease monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What weight oil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
anything over 100k i would use 5w30. it will usually fix any slow leaks you have. if you are burning oil, try auto-rx.com treatment and it will greatly reduce it. our old accord went from burning almost a quart a month to now a quart a year. and it runs like a new engine. after the auto rx treatment, try running valvoline maxlife 5w30 for better protection and even less oil burning. if you still have some issues, switch to 10w30 maxlife but only if you live mostly in place where its above freezing most of the year. if you have cold winters, stick with 5w30.
Thanks for the input. I will look into the auto-rx product and I will be changing from 5/20 to 5/30 oil change is up this weekend.
grease monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #5  
Allow me to explain through interpretive dance
 
ezone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Deep in the midwest, aiming about mid-chest
Posts: 29,887
Rep Power: 402
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What weight oil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandchris View Post
I only have 30K on my 2010 civic and I am running 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm OK, right?
You should use 5W20.
It says so right on the oil cap.
Mobil-1 is fine.
ezone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #6  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
iTrader: (95)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NV
Age: 37
Posts: 51,298
Rep Power: 718
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What weight oil??

5w30 will not hurt, but for a newer engine with smaller tolerances, i would stick with the factory oil weight. after a while you will start to see that switching to a thicker weight is better (when you develop small oil leaks and start burning oil after 75k+ miles). thats when a 30 weight really helps out and the engine is more than "broken in" to work with it. and remember that synthetic keeps its weight whereas a conventional will shear down to a lower weight (a 30 weight can become more like 20 weight over time). i would stick with a 5w20 full synthetic from 25k to about 75k, then switch to 5w30. just my opinion. and the reason i say 25k is these new engines have a very long break in time and you want to make sure and stick with conventional from 0-25k if you want the engine to last later on. 25k is a bit extreme and you are prolly fine waiting until 10k, but better safe than sorry.

the most important thing to remember is pick a weight and a brand and stick with it. mixing too many oils every time you change it can reduce its effectiveness.

Last edited by gearbox; 06-12-2012 at 08:42 PM.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #7  
Registered!!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 19
Rep Power: 0
grease monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: What weight oil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
5w30 will not hurt, but for a newer engine with smaller tolerances, i would stick with the factory oil weight. after a while you will start to see that switching to a thicker weight is better (when you develop small oil leaks and start burning oil after 75k+ miles). thats when a 30 weight really helps out and the engine is more than "broken in" to work with it. and remember that synthetic keeps its weight whereas a conventional will shear down to a lower weight (a 30 weight can become more like 20 weight over time). i would stick with a 5w20 full synthetic from 25k to about 75k, then switch to 5w30. just my opinion. and the reason i say 25k is these new engines have a very long break in time and you want to make sure and stick with conventional from 0-25k if you want the engine to last later on. 25k is a bit extreme and you are prolly fine waiting until 10k, but better safe than sorry.

the most important thing to remember is pick a weight and a brand and stick with it. mixing too many oils every time you change it can reduce its effectiveness.
Thanks for the helpfull input
grease monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Honda Civic Forum Replies Last Post
what brand of oil & filter do You use..? brags 8th & 9th Generation Civic 46 01-07-2016 09:39 PM
Liqui Moly 2009 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment emich Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance 9 12-11-2015 12:20 PM
Help a fatty out Mr.Beefy 6th Generation Civic 2 08-12-2015 04:39 PM
Had oil changed, dash says "oil life 15%" fafa1234 Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum 4 08-08-2015 06:42 PM
97 Civic Oil Plug Problem fecrni Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum 3 08-08-2015 06:15 PM


Tags
1030, 2002, 2005, 2012, accord, burn, capacity, civic, honda, oil, oild, synthetic, type, weight, wieght

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 PM.


© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.