Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

What weight oil??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grease monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
What weight oil??

I have my 2002 civic SOHC. I have always used 05/20 castrol syntec edge but my civic has 207K miles. Its starting to slowly burn oil. Do you guys think I should move up weight to maybe 10/30 or what to you guys recommend??
Old 06-12-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What weight oil??

anything over 100k i would use 5w30. it will usually fix any slow leaks you have. if you are burning oil, try auto-rx.com treatment and it will greatly reduce it. our old accord went from burning almost a quart a month to now a quart a year. and it runs like a new engine. after the auto rx treatment, try running valvoline maxlife 5w30 for better protection and even less oil burning. if you still have some issues, switch to 10w30 maxlife but only if you live mostly in place where its above freezing most of the year. if you have cold winters, stick with 5w30.
Old 06-12-2012
Registered!!

mattandchris is an unknown quantity at this point

I only have 30K on my 2010 civic and I am running 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm OK, right?
Old 06-12-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
anything over 100k i would use 5w30. it will usually fix any slow leaks you have. if you are burning oil, try auto-rx.com treatment and it will greatly reduce it. our old accord went from burning almost a quart a month to now a quart a year. and it runs like a new engine. after the auto rx treatment, try running valvoline maxlife 5w30 for better protection and even less oil burning. if you still have some issues, switch to 10w30 maxlife but only if you live mostly in place where its above freezing most of the year. if you have cold winters, stick with 5w30.
Thanks for the input. I will look into the auto-rx product and I will be changing from 5/20 to 5/30 oil change is up this weekend.
Old 06-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattandchris
I only have 30K on my 2010 civic and I am running 5W30 Mobil 1 synthetic. I'm OK, right?
You should use 5W20.
It says so right on the oil cap.
Mobil-1 is fine.
Old 06-12-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

5w30 will not hurt, but for a newer engine with smaller tolerances, i would stick with the factory oil weight. after a while you will start to see that switching to a thicker weight is better (when you develop small oil leaks and start burning oil after 75k+ miles). thats when a 30 weight really helps out and the engine is more than "broken in" to work with it. and remember that synthetic keeps its weight whereas a conventional will shear down to a lower weight (a 30 weight can become more like 20 weight over time). i would stick with a 5w20 full synthetic from 25k to about 75k, then switch to 5w30. just my opinion. and the reason i say 25k is these new engines have a very long break in time and you want to make sure and stick with conventional from 0-25k if you want the engine to last later on. 25k is a bit extreme and you are prolly fine waiting until 10k, but better safe than sorry.

the most important thing to remember is pick a weight and a brand and stick with it. mixing too many oils every time you change it can reduce its effectiveness.

Last edited by gearbox; 06-12-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-13-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
5w30 will not hurt, but for a newer engine with smaller tolerances, i would stick with the factory oil weight. after a while you will start to see that switching to a thicker weight is better (when you develop small oil leaks and start burning oil after 75k+ miles). thats when a 30 weight really helps out and the engine is more than "broken in" to work with it. and remember that synthetic keeps its weight whereas a conventional will shear down to a lower weight (a 30 weight can become more like 20 weight over time). i would stick with a 5w20 full synthetic from 25k to about 75k, then switch to 5w30. just my opinion. and the reason i say 25k is these new engines have a very long break in time and you want to make sure and stick with conventional from 0-25k if you want the engine to last later on. 25k is a bit extreme and you are prolly fine waiting until 10k, but better safe than sorry.

the most important thing to remember is pick a weight and a brand and stick with it. mixing too many oils every time you change it can reduce its effectiveness.
Thanks for the helpfull input