Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Smelling gas when driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drack502 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smelling gas when driving

I am smelling gas only when I drive, I don't smell before or after I drive the car.

I smell it more when I drive around 80 kmh but I still smell it at different speeds.

The engine light is on but I don't have it pin pointed, it has something to do with an evap code.

I can only smell it when I have the windows down, I don't smell it with the windows up.

I find it idling a little "rough" shaking a little bit, not much just a little but when I'm driving the engine seems to run fine.

It's a 2004 civic.

Any help here would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Smelling gas when driving

more than likely a fuel vapor leak from the evap emissions system. basically a system for storing and sending fuel vapor from the gas tank to the engine so it can be burned. saves some mpg and less pollution. gonna have to trace the lines (just the rubber ones) and check the charcoal canister and purge valves. if a valve is stuck, the gas could backfeed thru the evap air filter intake in the back of the car. see if you can find whether its coming from front or back of the car.
Old 09-25-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
urabus is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Smelling gas when driving

I got the same problem, I pinpointed it to this cover beside the gas tank behind the rear driver side wheel. I tok the cover off its a multidirectional valve or something which sends the gas from the tank and has 2 electrical connectors now I cannot find out what part that is ANYWHERE online not in my hanyes manual either. Im stumped.. It's a simple leak where the 2 screws join the plastic together at the seal. If anyone knows what this part is would help alot. My car is a 98' and has the same exact problem windows down smells and there's a small leak only when the car is turned on. I got some one to rev it up while i looked at it with a flash light and I can see the tiny leak.