Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

2008 civic si and over oil change

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scoobydude911 is an unknown quantity at this point
2008 civic si and over oil change

i bought a 2008 civic si off a dude yesterday and i went to pick it up today and i was going back home (he lives like 650 miles from me so i flew out and drove back) well what the ****, i look at the oil change sticker at the top left and it says the oil needs changed at 52,000 miles, and when i looked at my odometer i saw there was 52,098 miles on that ****.

make no concern, i pulled over immediately and walked to a hotel with my laptop and wifi and now here i am asking for help... what do i do guys? i really think i caused irreversible damage to this engine. 98 miles extra is like 3 more percent extra on the oil i am sure the engine is shot, how much do these engines typically cost to get replaced? also while the engine is being replaced should i get the transmission looked at too? i just got off the phone with my uncle and he told me to try and stay calm and see what my options are first.

thanks a lot guys.

-Jamill Meritoll
Old 12-30-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: 2008 civic si and over oil change

relax, the engine is completely fine and still healthy, you could have driven another 1000 miles without causing any damage. the recommended service intervals are fairly conservative, driving style and the type of oil used have a very large impact on when it should be changed. it's also important to note that the oil life meter is just an odometer ticking down from when it was last reset, it doesn't mean much. you sound like an appliance user, you drive a car, but really don't understand how it operates. when i first started driving that's how i was, learning a bit about how how i car operates was hugely gratifying and prevents panicked moments like these.
Old 12-30-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. Nothing is going to happen.
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

my uncle is flipping out on me right now
Old 12-30-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Because you went 100 miles over the service interval or because you're overreacting to the whole situation? I really see no reason for either. Like MB said, we've all been there before with service intervals.
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

it was his idea to come on here and see what to do he is mad i let this happen, now he thinks i am not going to pay the loan he cosigned on because i blew the car up.
Old 12-30-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

if he's flipping out on you for going over the service interval, then he doesn't know enough about engines for that to be in any way justified. seriously, you could go 15k miles without any oil change without damaging an engine enough that it needs to be rebuilt/replaced.
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

i told him that and he said "well, if that's the truth, then why the **** do they tell you to change it every 3,000 miles?" and he's arranging for a tow truck to come get the car. when he tells my dad i am certainly going to get my my *** kicked
Old 12-30-2011
Trance Addict

3000 miles is an old service interval. Hell, you could probably go 4k on older engines with no ill effects. My 94 Corolla got its oil changed at like 3,700-4,000 miles and it's still going with almost 170k on the odometer. Today's cars have much longer service intervals. My car calls for oil changes at 6,000 miles. Some even 10,000.
Old 12-30-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

text your uncle the url of this thread, he can read what we're saying himself. clearly, he does not know enough about cars to be giving anyone advice. how do you like the si so far?
Old 12-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

**** your car is toast. Ill give you $1000 for it with the blown motor right now. Cash!!
Old 12-30-2011
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Holy cow.
Oil doesn't suddenly expire at 3000 miles on the dot.
It doesn't suddenly depart the crankcase at 3000 miles.
OP: RTFM.
Oil life monitor.
The cars can go anywhere from 4k to 12k on an oil change, if the proper oil is used.
Old 12-30-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
**** your car is toast. Ill give you $1000 for it with the blown motor right now. Cash!!
I offer US$10 and want the change!
really... I go double without any troubles the recommended interval...
STOP freaking out, dammit!
Old 12-30-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

This is funny.

The number is a recommendation, not a dead set number that if you go against it all hell will break loose. Just drive it to the nearest oil change place and change the oil. Nothing will happen to the car.
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

ok i got it towed to the shop (Mr. Tire) yesterday, and the guy looked at it, and he said hes gonna price a few engines out for me, and he usually sees the k20z3 engines with ~50,000 miles on them go for around 3,000-3,600.

I explained to him what was said on this forum, and I asked him to write down some of the stuff he told me (like the k20z3 is my engine etc) and he said yeah, it's usually fine to go over the allotted oil change, but since I just bought this car, i'm better off to replace it now than have to worry about it later.

would he let me take my own engine in? i ebay searched and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-...item3cbea9914d

i wonder if this man would do 3,000 shipped to the garage?

what makes it a lot better, there's an employee at the garage who said he would buy my scrap motor for 300 bucks (but i conned him into paying 400 ) so that will offset some of the cost of the engine.
Old 12-31-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

and there goes another guy conned...
Old 12-31-2011
That Dude with the Questions

Shift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the roughShift-E is a jewel in the rough

theyre ripping you off. They want your old engine cuz its worth more then that. God damn.

Old 12-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Your an idiot.
Old 12-31-2011
Registered!!

because i offered him 3k for that engine? it does seem low i think.
Old 12-31-2011

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I sure wish I could make $3500+ off of an oil change and pressure wash the engine.
I prefer to sleep well at night.

Stupid tax is in effect.
Old 12-31-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You're a troll, if this is real, you're not intelligent enough to operate a device as complicated as a moving vehicle.

2 mechanics and 3 extremely experienced DIY'ers have told you it's totally fine.
Old 12-31-2011

Originally Posted by MindBomber

2 mechanics and 3 extremely experienced DIY'ers have told you it's totally fine.
It's fine unless the engine sounds like a coffee can full of rocks, or knocks like a gremlin with a sledgehammer is trapped inside it.

Side note: DIY'ers and mechanics get dirty. I don't get paid enough to get dirty.
Old 12-31-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

^
Old 12-31-2011
Trance Addict

I refuse to believe anyone is this gullible.
Old 12-31-2011

Originally Posted by MelJ
I refuse to believe anyone is this gullible.
You apparently don't deal with the general population on a regular basis.
Old 12-31-2011
Trance Addict

This is indeed true. My job has me secluded from them.
Old 12-31-2011
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Haha it was obvious hes troll in the first post "Thats like 3% More!!!"
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

kal1fornia is an unknown quantity at this point

your an idiot scooby
Old 01-01-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

I knew he was a troll.. Thats why my first post said what it said..

"**** your car is toast. Ill give you $1000 for it with the blown motor right now. Cash!!"

Him and his uncle cant be that dumb.. and if his uncle is on this forum his uncle must know some basics at the very least.