Starting/Idling issue? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2011   #1
Registered!!

HatchSi1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting/Idling issue?

Hey guys, I think this may be my... 7th post on the forums... Regardless, I went to the bank today with no issue at all, had to get ahead of a douchebag in his big truck so I revved it up a bit (1990 Honda Civic Si Hatch). Coming out of the bank I went to start the car, it caught fine but tried to idle at less than 1000 RPMs, when I went to throttle it a bit it died. After trying to restart a few times, to no avail, I left it for about 5 minutes, came back, got it to catch, and held the revs between 3 and 4000 RPMs for about a minute, afterwards it idled fine, and restarts just fine... I have a sneaking suspicion it may be the fuel pump trying to cave on me, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any input at all? Should I be looking into a new fuel pump shortly? This is a project car, so replacing parts isn't really something I'm concerned about, I just wouldn't mind knowing before I replace something I don't need to... One of my main replacements I still have to perform is the Rad, seeing as how I have a pinhole in the top of it that's partially held shut with JB Weld, and it still leaks like a siv when I get the RPM's going... So a new rad's in the works, but does this situation sound like I should be adding to my cart?
HatchSi1990 is offline   Reply With Quote