Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

2007 Civic LX oil life 40%, but out of oil...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kimfromcali is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Civic LX oil life 40%, but out of oil...

Hi all..
I bought my Civic used from a Honda dealer, so it passed a full pre-owned inspection before I purchased it two years ago. It runs like a dream except for one thing....The problem I've always had is that when I go in for oil changes, they tell me I have practically NO oil in my car-every time. They check for leaks and come up with nothing.
I noticed a ticking noise when pressing the gas yesterday and that sound means low to no oil to me now. I checked and I was at barely any oil again. I added three quarts until I could get to an oil change place because I was afraid to drive it on empty. The strange thing is that my oil light is not on and the oil life says I'm at 40%.
Is this a known issue with this year/model or is it just my car? Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!
Kim
Old 06-21-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Civic LX oil life 40%, but out of oil...

I can see a few things wrong with your post.

1. You know your burning oil yet your not checking/refilling it between oil changes ??? Thats crazy
2. The oil minder only calculates oil life not the amount you have, there is no sensor that tells you that your oil level is coming down because the sensor would never work properly.
3. The oil pressure light is totally different and if it comes on your in big, big trouble and probably need a new engine. So consider yourself lucky you haven't gotten this light yet.

Honestly, if I did an oil change and saw I was low on oil I'd be checking and filling it at least once a week, probably checking it every day and filling as necessary. If there is any damage done it was caused by running low on oil and it could have been avoided The ticking noise could be a thousand different things but low on oil is really bad for the main bearings so it might be one of those. Sorry but if there is damage it was done by lack of care.

As far as why it's burning oil is it could be piston rings/head gasket or it could be leaking somewhere out the bottom. Check where you park and look for oil on the ground. Your car is known for leaking oil out of the oil pan gasket but I may be wrong because I'm not well versed in 8th gen civics.
Old 06-21-2011
Registered!!

combinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura aboutcombinatorix has a spectacular aura about

Have you or a friend warm it up and drive it around a parking lot. Check the exhaust. If it is coming out blueish at all and has a distinctive smell, you're burning oil. I would say it's an oily smell, but that's probably not helpful. It's different from the normal gasoline or exhaust.

Next time you park, park on a clean, dry spot. When you leave, move over a space and check the ground for oil.

Start getting in the habit of keeping oil in your car and checking the dipstick regularly. I have a coworker who does this at least once a week after work to top off the oil in his old Saturn. It's burning oil, but he's convinced it will last him another couple years if he just keeps it filled.
Old 06-21-2011
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Older Saturns were notorious for burning oil. I have made it a habit to check my oil every week or every other week. Takes 5 seconds and is good insurance.
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

Thanks for your replies....
Sorry to sound ignorant in the ways of car maintenance, but I guess I am. Never before have I had a new(er) car that I had to top off oil in between oil changes. This car isn't what I'd consider 'old', so treating as such is not something I ever thought about. I get the oil changed on schedule-religiously. I am now in the habit of checking the oil because I guess this car requires it, though I don't think it should. I had the oil changed this morning and told the guy about my issue. He said I'm not the first person with a Honda that has the problem of burning oil. Go figure.
I've never noticed blueish smoke, but will now check for it.
No leaks in my garage, so I don't believe it's leaking that way.
I bought the car used two years ago, so no telling what kind of treatment it received from the prior owner. Could be where this problem started.
I'm going to have the engine checked now, since I still here the noise. Basically, it makes the same sound as putting a playing card in the spokes of your bike when you were a kid.
Thanks again. I appreciate the help.
Kim
Old 06-22-2011
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem I understand being new to cars and all. That noise is not a good one. How loud is it?
Old 06-22-2011
Registered!!

Noise isn't too loud. Kindof soft, actually. It only happens when I'm pressing the gas. When I take my foot off of it, the sound stops. The guy at the oil place said it sounded like 'lifters' in the engine.
Old 07-11-2011
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimfromcali
Thanks for your replies....
Sorry to sound ignorant in the ways of car maintenance, but I guess I am. Never before have I had a new(er) car that I had to top off oil in between oil changes. This car isn't what I'd consider 'old', so treating as such is not somethingKim
It doesn't matter if it's new or old. Your owners manual probably says to check your oil (everytime you fill up with gas). when you got your oil changed and you were told that you had no oil should have been a clue to start checking your oil. Check it when you get gas is a good rule to follow.