Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

power steering fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rosie is an unknown quantity at this point
power steering fluid

my 2001 has 65000 well serviced miles on it.
Dealer wants to change the power steering fluid for $68.00.
Is this necessary? I have never herard of it before
Old 01-16-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: power steering fluid

The book is not very clear on any interval to change this item, at that age I would certainly consider getting it done. Be sure they are using original Honda fluid.
Old 01-16-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

usually if the fluid is dark (not light honey color) then its good to change it. i usually just suck out whats in the reservoir (50% of total capacity) and pour in new fluid. drive around to let it mix and do again if it still looks dirty.
Old 02-03-2011
Registered!!

jay20s1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

was wondering if you have to completely change power steering fluid or can u just add to it? also is there a certain kind of fluid to use. the cap on it says use honda fluid only. didnt know they even had there own brand
Old 02-03-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

use the honda stuff, its cheap and works great. other fluid can destroy the pump, make it harder to steer, or cause strange noises. you can drain and fill the reservoir and you will have replaced 50% of the fluid. drive around and change it again if it still looks dirty. be sure to check the fluid level (when cold) after you change it the first time and drive it. more than likely it will have fallen to the MIN line and you have to top it off.
Old 04-21-2011
Registered!!

nexy is an unknown quantity at this point

so i'm at 108,000 miles on my 2003 civic, i guess i should change the power steering fluid...