Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Transmission Fluid 2000 civic help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kyle_l88 will become famous soon enoughkyle_l88 will become famous soon enough
Transmission Fluid 2000 civic help!

So basically they discontinued the ATF-Z1 fluid. I am running that currently and I was going to do my regular drain and fill as I do every year months or so. Problem is, I have always used the same stuff. Now they no longer have it so my question is, what do i switch to? And do i need to completely flush the tranny to go from the ATF-Z1 to some other one such as AMSOIL ATF synthetic? Any help is greatly appreciated, the Honda dealer retards can be really useless.
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

Re: Transmission Fluid 2000 civic help!

Basically as it goes, when you drain and fill that doesn't get out ALL the fluid from what ppl have said. So does the mixing cause any issues? I am looking at Redline D4 ATF
Old 12-01-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard mixed on Amsoil. I'm using Redline MTF in my 2000 Civic right now. I'm gonna put Honda OEM MTF in and see if I notice a difference. I wanna see how well it is in the colder months compared to the Redline. Wow. Your other comment didn't load. I'm sure I had a little Honda OEM left in my tranny after I switched and I haven't noticed anything. Your best bet would to buy enough for 2 changes. Do one change and let that cycle around for a little bit and then do another drain and refill. I don't think it's gonna harm anything though.

Last edited by MelJ; 12-01-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

Sounds good thanks . Thats basically what I have been reading, Only dealerships have said to do a flush, but man, I'm at 195K kilometers, or 120K miles. Flushes are HARD on the tranny/engine from what ppl have been saying, especially since this is the first time. Thing is your running a manual transmission right? Im guessing that mixing will be ok on automatic. Too bad autos are such complicated peices of machinery.
Old 12-01-2010
Trance Addict

MelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of lightMelJ is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah. The consensus here is that flushing an auto tranny is no bueno. Just a drain and refill should suffice. If you've been keeping up on those changes, you're way ahead of the average car owner. The transmission fluid in my old Corolla hasn't been changed and it has almost 160k on it. Damn. Maybe I should change it. I'd check around online though because the weight of my fluid may be different. I don't know off the top of my head. There should be, IIRC, a GL rating or something like that in the manual for automatic transmissions.
Edit:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Red+Line+Oil/816/30504/10002/-1
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

FYI, Honda replace Z1 with their newer ATF DW-1 which Honda claims that it is also Z1 compatible.
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

O really? so technically I could just mix the two with a few drain and refills and it will be aight ? The guy on the phone said they use the DW-1 now, i just wasnt sure about the synthetic business
Old 12-01-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ive never heard of z1 being discontinued and there are no plans to phase it out by honda. amsoil atf is a mixed bag and usually the results are worse than using oem. putting any other type of fluid will kill your trans pretty quick as weve all seen on these forums. dw1 is a pure synthetic but not intended to be used in older honda trans, only new or rebuilt. you will likely ruin an older trans that is already gunked up inside. and never flush, always drain/fill.
Old 12-01-2010
Registered!!

kbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura aboutkbook has a spectacular aura about

Definitely no Amsoil for Civic : )

gearbox,

I just realized you posted the DW-1 since July. I just found the topic on the page 15 or something. Oh by the way, yesterday morning. I put trans to D and press gas to fast that It looked like it slipped on the first gear!!! and the weather was cold. T_T

only time... only time...

Last edited by kbook; 12-01-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

Hmmmyea, either here in Markham (Toronto Area) people are half retarded or they just stopped selling it at that dealer. I am going to buy a case off ebay of the Z1. Its about 10 quarts for 90 including shipping. Not too bad if you ask me. i'd rather stick to the stock stuff anyways. Might as well stick with what works THanks guys
Old 12-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Its probably just your dealer being ignorant/lazy, my understanding is that they're supposed to continue carrying z1; that way if a car doesn't respond well to dw1 they can add z1 fluid back in.
Old 12-02-2010
Registered!!

Yea thats what i figured, lazy is the most likely cause lol. I called the one near where I live and got a normal person and he was very helpful. Told me he had 13 single Litre bottles still. That no one really buys it anymore, so Im gonna take my *** over there and buy 8-10 of them lol. He told me its in limited quanities now, but they still carry "Some" of it.
Old 12-02-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

New products aren't necessarily better, I'm going to check with my dealer to see if they plan on continuing to carry z-1.
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

So I successfully went there yesterday and bought some Z1 fluid. Good news is I wont need to buy it ever again. Bad news is it cost $90 LOL. o well. The guy said that he couldn't order more so if I wanted it, I could take it all ahaha, I took the whole case. Anyways here in Canada they are starting to phase it out apparently, but I refuse to move to the DW1 unless I have to. In which case I might look into alternatives. But yea for anyone out there buying the Z1, I would say pick some up if you plan to change your tranny fluid, since apparently It is going to be harder to find. Ebay has tons tho, so I'm not too worried
Old 12-03-2010
Registered!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/10-BOTTLES-HONDA-...e#ht_887wt_907

$90 for 10 quarts/9.5Litres.
And shipping is cheaper for US customers. I pay more . Still not bad for 10 bottles
Old 12-03-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

thats pretty expensive, even our ripoff dealer here only charges around $7 a bottle.
Old 12-03-2010
Trance Addict

Damn. That's insane. Lol.
Old 12-03-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I pay $9 something a bottle..

Anything from a dealer is more expensive in Canada, because of the import duties. Cars are so much more expensive in Canada theres a law that prevents cars from being imported if they're less than a year old. A high end car could easily be $20-30k more to buy in Canada, despite the dollar being at parody.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-03-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

Yea its pretty expensive here. But i did successfully get 12 Litres for $80 at the dealer, it was the last case and he said he'd give me the whole thing for 80. which is about $6.66 a bottle. Not bad I think. O well not much you can do I guess, gonna get ripped one way or the other. At least my transmission fluid is clean and it shifts smoother so Im happy.
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

One last thing since this thread is easiest to ask it in. I checked my ATF level with the car off. Its fulll. Do i need to check it while running or what is the protocol for that ?
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

one of nearest stealership charges $8 /quart : (
so I have to drive 6 miles for $7
Old 12-06-2010
Registered!!

asianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the roughasianboy781 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kyle_l88
One last thing since this thread is easiest to ask it in. I checked my ATF level with the car off. Its fulll. Do i need to check it while running or what is the protocol for that ?
so if u fill in the fluid and its full drive around a few miles then check again
the fluids has to go through all the nuts and cranny and all around that thing, check it constantly till the level stays full after everytime u drive it just to be on the safe side
Old 12-06-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by kyle_l88
Engine running with the transmission in park.

You need to check it much faster than the engine dipstick. Stick it in and pull it straight out within a couple seconds, usually it takes a few attempts to get a good reading. Top line mark is full, lower mark is the minimum.