Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

new to me civic stalling after oil change!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cindycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
new to me civic stalling after oil change!

Hi everybody, very excited to get my civic yesterday. ran around all over creation without really an issue. went to get an oil change and right after the oil change the check engine light came on and it stalled twice for me. once when i was parking it and once at a red light start up. PANIC!!! I drove approx. 20 miles to get home after this. if i was gonna do any damage from an oil overfill, is it too late??? could it be something else??? it is a 1995 civic. 188,888 miles. receipt said they put 4.3 quarts of oil in it (but from a big overhead system) also notice from the beginning a slight rattly? noise when i accelerate, mechanic said it is nothing , but i am my father's paranoid child. love my new baby and don't want anything to happen to it. If any of you would be kind enough to throw ur two cents in i'd be soooo happy, thanx...cindy

Last edited by cindycivic; 11-21-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: new to me civic stalling after oil change!

First of all, did you check the oil level on your dipstick?

Also, what type of oil did they use?
Old 11-21-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you got the car yesterday, the stalling could have nothing at all to do with the oil change. It is a good place to start, however. If the oil checks out okay, change the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap etc. Get caught up on your maintenance and it might fix your stalling issue. Does the car run rough before it stalls, or does it just randomly stall out?
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

Hi, thanks so much for taking the time to answer. No I haven't checked it yet. just saw the symptoms of oil overload on computer last night and it was freezing and dark.i have the receipt will check the type of oil. it was at a pennzoil fast thingy. will check it asap today.When I was in the parking lot it kinda grumbled before it stalled. On the road it just stalled. The guy i bought it from had just had the plugs, wires and cap done so shouldn't be an issue. As Dr. House says, everybody lies so who knows what I have on my hands. My mechanic can't see it till Monday and I'm trying to resist the urge to drive off a bridge with it already. I was so excited. Also looked at the symptoms of valve lash clearance and it seems to fit that too. But you know how it is diagnosing cars over the internet. I am also a doctor in my spare time!!!

Last edited by cindycivic; 11-21-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: left out part of answer
Old 11-21-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, a house fan!

But sounds to me like oil is leaking into your spark plugs

You need a gasket change and O ring change if so, shouldnt be too hard of work to do yourself

But to diagnose, pull the spark plugs and examine them, if they are black and have gunk around it, you're leaking oil into the plugs
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

will i break a nail??? dunno if i am talented enough to do myself but who knows...i don't even know if i could check a spark plug! but the things you do for your your children! well, i was on here so late (early) i just rolled outta bed not too long ago. guess it's time to get outta my jammies and buck up and go out there and check stuff??? ok, i had to buy a car in november, in michigan, what was i thinking??? thanks again for taking the time to look at my troubles..
Old 11-21-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

You might break a nail
Yes...
However, I would suggest you to learn to do your own maintenance to save you time and trouble

For now, you can ask a bf/husband/dad/friend to look at the spark plugs for you if you like

But honestly...do it yourself

Heres a vid of me replacing sparkplugs in a 03 vic,
All you need to do is take it out to inspect, then put them back in
...Oh, and you only need to take out 1 or 2 to inspect
[Youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbcieTii5xM[/Youtube]
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

If you have the wrenches, checking the spark plugs is as easy as it gets. It took me less than 10 minutes the first time I did it.

You definitely should get caught up on all the maintenance whenever you buy a new car, regardless of what the seller says.
Old 11-21-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

seems unlikely an oil change would trigger the engine light. unless all the oil came out, or something severe like they used really heavy oil. you should have got 5w30 in there. and overfilling is dangerous but it causes damage over time, not one time driving it. start by checking the oil level once the car has been sitting off for at least 10 mins. pull the stick out, wipe it, put back in, and take back out again. look where the oil line is. usually there will be a low and a high marking, make sure its at high. also check the viscosity of the oil dripping off the stick. it should be fairly watery. if its thick like molasses, they put the wrong weight in.
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

ok, i am learning sooo much in a few days! I checked the oil level. about a half inch above the full line maybe a bit more...yes. i'd love to learn to do it all...just not in two days.. the oil is thin. it was 5w30 on the paper i got. reg not syn. the spark plugs are in a God awful spot at an angle...maybe not the best beginner job...i will have someone help me...i actually would love to learn the body work. i sculpt and paint etc. so doing it on a car would be fun. who knows. this may turn into a star car! thanks again..mechanic tomorrow. prolly just a co-inky-dink this happened but crap, it scared me...
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

If its half inch above the full line thats way to high!

Go back to the quick lube place and have them drain it down to the proper level, or wait and let the mechanic do it, but I wouldn't do to much driving.
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

yes, thank you, he said not to drive it until i get to him, i will make him drain some. i'm also making the oil place give me a new oil filter too. i have to go about twenty miles. hope it doesn't damage anything. i'm freakin' out! if it is damaged i will make the oil place pay, and believe me, they will! they were not real happy with my phone call today. i wasn't mean but did sound like i knew what i was talking about, and that i can thank you guys for! i did check the air filter and no splashing etc. dry as a bone. couldn't get off a spark plug waitin' for somebody who knows what they are doing. husband lives 150 miles away right now, no boyfriend (yet,lol) no friends with car knowledge...guess i need a new set of friends! i really appreciate all the help you've given me. i have a funeral in the am, then to the mechanic...i'll post an ending to this issue. hoping to make that 350,000 to 1,000,000 mile club!!!
Old 11-21-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Spark plugs arent off to the side at a weird angle unless you have a V6
O_____O

anyways, just remove that black cover on top of your engine, under where it says "HONDA"
there should be 4 spark plug wires, that you can just pull out, then get a socket set that has a sparkplug 3/4 socket (good investment for future projects as well)
Take out 1,2, or all spark plugs to inspect them
Old 11-21-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

^if she thinks the spark plugs are at some weird angle, I doubt she'd be able to accurately inspect them. Looking forward to hearing your mechanics report, hopefully you'll be able to start enjoying your new ride soon.
Old 11-21-2010
Registered!!

hahaa, thanks mindbomber, you are right, i don't know where they are, thought they were attached to the wires coming from the four thingys on top of the engine. i will pay attention to everything that is done, i will catch up soon...knowledge is power...at least i'm smart enough to know what NOT to do, lol...and i know to watch oil change places like a hawk or learn to do it by myself....nite...
Old 11-22-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Easy to diagnose spark plugs

Theres even a whole FAQ page by NGK
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...d.asp?mode=nml

And obviously, if it's covered in oil, then it is leaking oil into the spark plugs lol

My friend had a similar problem on his accord
CEL was on, would start, but as soon as you put your foot on the gas pedal, it would die.
Was fouled plugs, with leak
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

thats why you never take your car to a quick oil change place lesson learned.
Old 11-22-2010
Registered!!

well, update for the day...yes lesson learned is right...saw one mechanic. said yes too much oil go back have them fix it. had them do that, didn't stall again after that, but still not running as well as i'd hoped. called another friend, asked for number to her guy...he checked sparkplugs, looked brand spankin' new, not an issue i guess. he noticed the same thing my neighbor did, strange dent/hole? in upper hose to pvc valve. ordered the parts from local honda dealer and having them put on weds...also someone suggested a dry gas and/ fuel injector cleaner additive for fuel tank...two mechanics said yes, one no... this is confusing. last mechanic to see it said it looked real good except for the hose thingy...drove fine(well,ok) during all this running around...what's anyones thought on the gas additives??? you guys are the best
Old 11-22-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ive been using lubecontrol.com additives for the oil and gas nearly 5 yrs daily. really keeps the car running at its best. LC20 is for oil, FP-plus for gas. for the gas, you just add 1oz every fillup (per 10 gallons).
Old 11-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i use LUCAS injector cleaner and cylinder lubricant its $10 dollars for a big 32oz bottle at wallmart.