honda 2009 coolant problem - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-11-2010   #1  
Registered!!

wafic is an unknown quantity at this point
Post honda 2009 coolant problem

I was checking the coolant on my civic 2009 and I recognized that it is empty, is it normal for the coolant to be empty in the morning? and should I add coolant or check it cause I only driven it for 6000 Miles??
wafic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #2  
30 Years Driving Japanese Autos

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: honda 2009 coolant problem

Make sure you have some present when the engine is at operating temp.

My 2010 is at a very low level when cold. and lower than it was when at temp. Could be due to the overall temp drop ?? but i'm keeping a close eye on it.
CraigW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #3  
Registered!!

wafic is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it low to a level of almost empty??
wafic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #4  
30 Years Driving Japanese Autos

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

When cold, it is below the lower level line but there is still a bit in the bottom of the reservoir. At temp it is between the 2 lines (but was closer to the upper)
CraigW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #5  
Registered!!

02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point

When cold, you should be at the low mark, once its up to operating temp you should be somewhere closer to the full mark. Add antifreeze when the engine is cold to the low mark, then in a week or so, check it again when its cold and see if you've lost any, if you have, then you have a leak.
02_d17a1_dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #6  
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

which "tank" are u looking at?

because that "tank" you are prob looking at is the overflow resivor....and that is there JUST for the coolant to overflow to incase it gets too hot.

the only way to "know" ur coolant is low is the open the coolant cap and look if its topped off.
sl33pyriceboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #7  
Registered!!

02_d17a1_dx is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi View Post
which "tank" are u looking at?

because that "tank" you are prob looking at is the overflow resivor....and that is there JUST for the coolant to overflow to incase it gets too hot.

the only way to "know" ur coolant is low is the open the coolant cap and look if its topped off.
Im hoping they know where to find the overflow tank, its even labeled in the owners manual. But its not there just in case of an overheating. Density decreases as the temperature rises, so as the coolant warms up, it expands, some of this expansion is counteracted by the pressurization of the cooling system to low the boiling point of the coolant, but the rest has to be stored to go back once the system cools off, thats the purpose of the overflow tank, to store the overflow.

The only way for there not to be coolant up to the neck when you take the radiator cap is off would be if theres no coolant in the overflow.

In other words READ THE FRIGGEN OWNERS MANUAL PEOPLE! If you dont know how to check coolant levels, the owner manual tells you how to do it the proper (and easier) way. Its designed to be user friendly for those who dont know as much about cars. Theres no reason to pop the cap off the radiator unless you wanna check the coolant for proper mix or allow for faster draining of the system.
02_d17a1_dx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010   #8  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i like to keep mine at max when cold just in case. never had it spill over as there is still alot of room in there. there is a simple solution to all this and that is add more cooant. if it gets lost again without spilling, you have a serious problem.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #9  
Registered!!

lightbearer1925 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: honda 1998 coolant problem

my engine temp goes high when am running with ac

please help. rawr
lightbearer1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #10  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbearer1925 View Post
my engine temp goes high when am running with ac

please help. rawr
duh! you have a 98, this is for 2009
Don't desperately post anywhere you want, some stuff are really different from a 8th gen to a 6th gen.

AC on? have them check your heater core.

Last edited by sdaidoji; 05-29-2011 at 08:09 AM.
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #11  
Super Moderator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if not that (purposefully i posted in separate reply, note that) check in here
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
sdaidoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011   #12  
Registered!!

lightbearer1925 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry am just new here. thanks anyway.
lightbearer1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011   #13  
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaidoji View Post
duh! you have a 98, this is for 2009
Don't desperately post anywhere you want, some stuff are really different from a 8th gen to a 6th gen.

AC on? have them check your heater core.
Just curious how can it be the heater core?
04 Honda Civic is offline   Reply With Quote