Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed

Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ashu is an unknown quantity at this point
driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed

Hi,

My Honda Civic 2002 is having some issues related to driver side door. The doors doesn't get locked through keyless entry and I've to use the key to lock/unlock it. When standing near the driver side and activating the un/lock via remote,it seems that parking lights flash. Also, I'm finding it difficult to un/lock using the manual locking lever. The passenger side door is fine and I can use manual locking lever on it.

2. The next day after the lock/unlock issue happened, the driver side window started giving trouble while trying to roll up all the way. The window was rolling down perfectly but while rolling up, it appeared as if it is getting jammed somewhere. Then, after some time, it rolled all the way up.

Can someone advise if this is a lube issue as it has started happening on driver side door only? If someone has experienced the same symptoms before with their car, and the issue got resolved, please let me know.

And any idea on how much money I've to shell out to have this get fixed by a mechanic.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed

If it was just the lock I would say it was the lock actuator but, with it being the window too I would say it's the master switch in the driver's door. That is the one that usually goes first as it gets the most use and is exposed to the elements more.

Usually it's about $100/hr for electrical diagnosis plus flag hours plus parts. fyi- that switch is $150 new.

You could save yourself some money by buying the switch and putting it in yourself, it's only 1 screw.
Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

Re: driver side door problems: keyless entry not working and window appears jammed

Originally Posted by lazlong
If it was just the lock I would say it was the lock actuator but, with it being the window too I would say it's the master switch in the driver's door. That is the one that usually goes first as it gets the most use and is exposed to the elements more.

Usually it's about $100/hr for electrical diagnosis plus flag hours plus parts. fyi- that switch is $150 new.

You could save yourself some money by buying the switch and putting it in yourself, it's only 1 screw.
Thanks lazlong. Will you be able to advise on how to go about changing the master switch?
Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Tools needed: 1-small phillips head screwdriver, 1- small flathead screwdriver

1. Pry up and remove this cover.
Name:  masterswitch1.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  116.8 KB

2. Remove screw.

3. Pry up on the front of the whole pocket and you should have this:
Name:  masterswitch2.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  82.7 KB

4. Remove the connector on the back of the pocket by squeezing this tab:
Name:  masterswitch3.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  53.4 KB

5. Remove and replace the switch:
Name:  masterswitch4.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  92.8 KB

You can find new here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ or used here: http://www.car-part.com/
Old 08-08-2010
Registered!!

Hi Lazlong,

Thx again for this fully descriptive DIY. I tried searching for the switch on hondaautomative parts but not able to. Will you be able to provide part# or complete product name by any chance.
Also, I'm able to control passenger side window or passenger window lock using the controls given on driver's side door. So, even then can the problem be with master switch? I was thinking as to how driver side's window and lock had issues but not when I use controls for passenger's side.

Thanks again.

Last edited by ashu; 08-08-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You could try cleaning the upper and lower track/rail that the window edges move in. Also make sure the rubber insert is in place and correct and not binding the glass.

As for the lock could be a bad actuator (make sure the drivers door is closed before trying to move lock ****) Also does the lock **** try to move any at all when working the power locks ?? ( L door closed) Any buzzing noises from L door when working the power locks ??
Old 08-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

This is the same exact problem i've been having with my 03 EX Coupe
The door lock wouldnt work (would work after i left it alone for an hour or so)
so the alarm went retarded

I turned my alarm to valet mode, and replaced the actuator because i tested it, and it was blown
It was about a $42 replacement, not too bad, then the window went bad

To test this, i put a little pressure on the passenger side window, rolls up fine...
Then i put a little pressure on the drivers side window....and the motor kind of sputters and stops
So I'm guessing its another motor i'm going to have to replace....
I haven't got around to it yet...

@Ashu
Check when you use the electric door lock from the inside of the car, if you can actually hear the lock actuator click within the door panel
If it doesn't click, or sounds weak, you prolly have to replace the actuator

I wrote up a DIY in addition to the one that was posted on this website like 10 years ago :P

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...-actuator.html

hope that helps
Old 08-09-2010
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
You could try cleaning the upper and lower track/rail that the window edges move in. Also make sure the rubber insert is in place and correct and not binding the glass.

As for the lock could be a bad actuator (make sure the drivers door is closed before trying to move lock ****) Also does the lock **** try to move any at all when working the power locks ?? ( L door closed) Any buzzing noises from L door when working the power locks ??
Yeah...lock **** does move a tiny bit when I use lock button on driver side (l door closed). The passenger side lock functions smoothly at that time though.
Old 08-10-2010
Registered!!

lewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura aboutlewal has a spectacular aura about

I think the power door lock (actuator) for the driver side is known to fail in our civics 01-03. Sort of like the seat rocking issue due to poorly designed seats (bushings).
Old 08-10-2010
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ashu
Yeah...lock **** does move a tiny bit when I use lock button on driver side (l door closed). The passenger side lock functions smoothly at that time though.
Sure sounds like the actuator has failed, very common.