Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
albertacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Steering Fluid

I have an 01 honda civic and am just wondering how to drain the power steering fluid and what supplies I might need?
Old 05-18-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power Steering Fluid

just take off the hose, drain the reservoir, and fill it back up. go for a drive and make several full point turns in each direction, then fill it up again to max after the car cools down (usually overnight). if fluid still looks dirty, you can repeat the process. much easier than doing the honda procedure of jacking up the car and running the pump while exchanging fluids, which could possibly damage the pump if you do it wrong. only use genuine honda power steering fluid. and recycle old fluid just like engine oil.
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

alright thanks...i'm nervous to pull off hoses as I'm near useless with cars...what about the turkey baster trick I read about?
Old 05-19-2010
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yep that will work too. just takes longer.
Old 05-19-2010
Registered!!

what percentage of the power steering fluid is in the reservoir roughly?
Old 05-19-2010
Premium Member

i have no idea, but prolly a good amount, i want to say 50% but im guessing. i only did one drain and fill and the fluid is still pretty good not dirty. i just drain it every so often and keep new fluid going in there.
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

speeeedddddfrea is an unknown quantity at this point

If a growling noise is present in the power steering pump after the fluid level is checked and air has been bled from the system, the pump bearing or other components are defective and pump replacement or repair is required. When the power steering pump pressure is lower than specified, pump replacement or repair is necessary.
Old 06-15-2010
Registered!!

prep89 will become famous soon enoughprep89 will become famous soon enough

make sure you put it in the right reservoir tank. I had a friend do his and his wife's ody and put the psf in the brake reservoir. Ruined the whole brake system except for ABS pump on both cars.
Old 07-31-2010
Registered!!

honda-99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by albertacivic
what percentage of the power steering fluid is in the reservoir roughly?
per Honda Civic 2001-2002 Service Manual:

system capacity = 1 liter/1.06qt
reservoir capcity = 0.4 liter/0.42qt
Old 08-01-2010
Registered!!

honda-99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's power steering fluid replacement instruction from 2000-2002 Honda Civic service manual:

1. Raise the reservoir, then disconnect the return hose (A) to drain the reservoir. Take care not to spill the fluid on the body and parts. Wipe off any spilled fluid at once.

2. Connect a hose (B) of suitable diameter to the disconnected return hose, and put the hose end in a suitable container.

3. Start the engine, let it run at idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. When fluid stops running out of the hose, shut off the engine. Discard the fluid.

4. Reinstall the return hose on the reservoir.

5. Fill the reservoir to the upper level line (C).

6. Start the engine and run it at fast idle, then turn the steering from lock-to-lock several times to bleed air from the system.

7. Recheck the fluid level and add more if necessary. Do not fill the reservoir beyond the upper level line.