Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

flooding problems please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amcjunky is an unknown quantity at this point
flooding problems please help

ok so my g/f has a 2000 civic base model with the 1.6L and it floods its self so bad it just won't start anymore.

so far me and me mechanic friend have check the tps sensor ( he grounded it out or did what you had to do to see if it is bad or not) we replaced the plugs, we played with the timing

the wired thing about this is, in winter or even now ( its +10 out) if its pluged in it starts. there is alot of black **** coming out of the tail pipe ( un burnt fuel?)

dose anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks
Old 04-03-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: flooding problems please help

2000 Civic is fuel injected so it should not be able to flood itself at all. Are you sure it's flooding? You might be having issues with the Idle Air Control Valve. It might need cleaning or replacing. Black stuff might just be exhaust residue getting wet and coming out.

Last edited by BlueEM2; 04-03-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2010
Registered!!

yes its flooding itself you can smell the gas and when you pull the spark plugs out they are wet.
Old 04-03-2010
Registered!!

laack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amcjunky
yes its flooding itself you can smell the gas and when you pull the spark plugs out they are wet.
flooding is very rare, oil leaking past your piston rings is more likely. I'm willing to bet its harder to start after sitting over night vs going to the grocery store and restarting when you come back out. when it runs are you getting CEL? adding oil in between oil changes? are you checking it regularly(if not i would just as a trouble shooting measure) it wont necessarily be a ton of oil that needs to be refilled, but oil burning will still explain your problem.

how did the plugs look when you replaced them? did you replace them with NGKs or DENSOs? how is your MPG?

there are a lot of things that can cause starting issues. what other problems are you running into? eg: hesitation during acceleration, poor fuel economy, etc...

more info please
Old 04-04-2010
Registered!!

well it has a ruff idle, It is gas because you can smell it ( smells like someone just spilled gas right beside you) once its started it seem to run fine except for the riff idle. the old plugs were.. well i never seen the plugs so bad before ( ngk iridium) and now we put in v power. As for the oil, the oil is checked regularly and is added when needed. Doesn't use a whole lot of oil tho but dose use some. We have no other problems besides this one her mpg seems good also whats CEL?

this morning we could not get it to start( was plugged in to). would turn over and over and over. as soon as we unplug the injectors ( turn it over to clear out any gas that was left in there) it wanted to start and would actually "catch" and run for a couple seconds but when we plugged the injectors back in same thing as before...just keep turning over and over and over. I tried boosting it and it fired up fine.

the battery dose seen a bit weak but i didn't think it would have made that big of a difference.

thanks
Old 02-09-2024
Registered!!

3ddi3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amcjunky
well it has a ruff idle, It is gas because you can smell it ( smells like someone just spilled gas right beside you) once its started it seem to run fine except for the riff idle. the old plugs were.. well i never seen the plugs so bad before ( ngk iridium) and now we put in v power. As for the oil, the oil is checked regularly and is added when needed. Doesn't use a whole lot of oil tho but dose use some. We have no other problems besides this one her mpg seems good also whats CEL?

this morning we could not get it to start( was plugged in to). would turn over and over and over. as soon as we unplug the injectors ( turn it over to clear out any gas that was left in there) it wanted to start and would actually "catch" and run for a couple seconds but when we plugged the injectors back in same thing as before...just keep turning over and over and over. I tried boosting it and it fired up fine.

the battery dose seen a bit weak but i didn't think it would have made that big of a difference.

thanks
Did you ever figure this out? Having same problem
Old 02-10-2024
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

This was 14 years ago, start your own thread; list what problem you have and what you've tried to do to fix it
The following users liked this post:
BrotatoChip (02-10-2024)