Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

My car leaks a gallon of oil per week. What's the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obamargarine is an unknown quantity at this point
My car leaks a gallon of oil per week. What's the cause?

I've spent like $120 on oil refills in the last 2 months for my car, it's leaking like there's a hole in the engine. I think it started after I used that stupid Autozone gumout fuel system cleaner solution.
I took it to my local mechanic and he failed to fix it... twice.

Does anyone have ideas as far as how I should go about fixing it?
How much would a dealership charge for that? Or should I just try another mechanic?
Old 02-19-2010
Registered!!

Awjvail is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: My car leaks a gallon of oil per week. What's the cause?

well have you looked underneath to see where it is leaking from?
Old 02-19-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

could be a bad drain plug gaskit, loose filter bad oil pan or gaskit or somewhere else get under there and investigate.
Old 02-20-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

spray the engine down with carb cleaner and see if you can spot the leak. im not even sure how youre able to drive it because it sounds like oil is pouring out. but you need to find where its coming from.
Old 02-20-2010
Registered!!

Cal1316 is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be from the main seal.. but if its leaking that bad it sounds like you might have a crakc or hole in your oil pan.. i wouldnt drive it around at all until you know where it is coming from ha
Old 02-20-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Gumout has nothing to do with it unless you poured into your engine lol. Start by looking around, start from the top look at the valve gaskets, by the distributor, under it. Then go to the bottom, oil pan use a light if you have that much oil you will see wet oil. Check the obvious the oil drain plug, maybe the threads are stripped wrong sized bolt etc.
Old 02-20-2010
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

The only thing I can think of that would bleed oil that fast is a bad seal. Go under the car and just look for a massive amount of oil on one side of the oil pan or the other, you'll also see oil stains running most of the way back under the car.
Either seal is a pain in the ***, but if you're losing oil that fast, you gotta find it before you start losing bearings.
Old 02-21-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

If the leak is that bad it shouldnt be that hard to find..