full body paint - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-27-2010   #1  
Registered!!

civicgal is an unknown quantity at this point
full body paint

My 97 civic with 150k miles is still running, and needs full body paint. My husband said that it is towards its end and would not be worth it. I checked that it will cost around 200-250 for it. It's properly maintained and I still see it running maybe 2-3 yrs more. I put around 20k miles a yr. Only the AC has been replaced, tranmission is still good. What do you think? Is painting it worth it?
civicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #2  
Registered!!

Personality is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: full body paint

for that cheap? wow, where do you live? thats cheap as hell and where you getting done at?
Personality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #3  
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

sounds like a uhhhh owwww better get maco special that maco paint wont last a year.
lowlife9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #4  
Registered!!

CoupedUp04 is an unknown quantity at this point

This should be a poll... but i don't think it's worth it. As lowlife said, that cheap of a paint job isn't worth getting. Much less on a car that has 150k on it. Everyone understands when a 13 year old+ car has paint damage. Who knows when the transmission will go out, or engine damage, or brakes, or any other thing that goes wrong with high mileage cars. Put the money into a good investment... IMO

lol @ uhhhhh owwwwww
CoupedUp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010   #5  
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicgal View Post
My 97 civic with 150k miles is still running, and needs full body paint. My husband said that it is towards its end and would not be worth it. I checked that it will cost around 200-250 for it. It's properly maintained and I still see it running maybe 2-3 yrs more. I put around 20k miles a yr. Only the AC has been replaced, tranmission is still good. What do you think? Is painting it worth it?
Are you the original owner? If so then you know the history of the car. But a $250 paint job will not be a good one (unless you have a friend in the business willing to give you a break). A decent paint job will run close
$800-$1000
civicpapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #6  
2010 Civic Si

K20Z3 is on a distinguished road

Thats definitely not the cost of a good paint job. I wouldn't say its worth it on such an old car unless you have a particular reason to. That reason being either you're in love with the car or you have some $100,000 engine in there (some fast and the furious sh**).
K20Z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #7  
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowlife9 View Post
sounds like a uhhhh owwww better get maco special that maco paint wont last a year.
Mine's lasted about a year so far but I got the $1000 job
lollygagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #8  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

around $3-5k for a decent paint job. $5k+ for a GREAT paint job lol.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #9  
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

^For $1500-2500 you can get a good paint that isn't a colour change and can exclude door jambs and the engine bay.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011   #10  
Person

lollygagger has a spectacular aura aboutlollygagger has a spectacular aura about

Yeah they only did the outside. No frame, no bay, no trunk
lollygagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #11  
2010 Civic Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
^For $1500-2500 you can get a good paint that isn't a colour change and can exclude door jambs and the engine bay.
Thing is that $1500-$2500 is basically what his car is worth, and you have to ask yourself if that money is worth it and how much does it actually increase the value of the car.
Old 04-27-2011   #12  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its not about increasing value, its about driving a nicer car. it would still be much cheaper to paint his car than to buy a newer/better car for $5-6k.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011   #13  
2010 Civic Si

Well then its a form/function debate I guess.
Old 05-10-2011   #14  
Back Home With Honda

blacksun is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicgal View Post
If you think the car has at least another 2-3 years in it, and you like the car and you WANT to get it painted (and have it look better) then my advice would be to go ahead and have it painted. However, I can't imagine quality work for $250. maybe $750. Shop around and good luck with it!
blacksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011   #15  
=)

iSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the roughiSharix is a jewel in the rough

Hasnt it occurred to anyone that it COULD just be a typo ? ...2000/2500 ?
iSharix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011   #16  
Registered!!

bigblock454cam is an unknown quantity at this point

It's worth it to me. I have a 97 civic also 244,000 miles, still runs like new, replaced the a/c and cv axles. The car is paid for and gets 31 miles per gallon, it's not going anywhere but to the paint shop, but I don't think you are going to get a very good paint job for $250, I have 1 dent in my car and looking at about $1200, but still cheaper than another ride
bigblock454cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011   #17  
Registered!!

elizabethadams is an unknown quantity at this point

Full body paint job for only $250, that's cheap. Where did you have it painted?
elizabethadams is offline   Reply With Quote