Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Oil pan gasket etc. replacement on 2001 Civic

Old 01-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicLoyal is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Oil pan gasket etc. replacement on 2001 Civic

While getting my oil changed at my dealership, I was informed that my car possibly needed everything from the oil pan gasket to the rear main seal replaced due to things being "worn". I have not noticed any kind of oil leaks on the garage floor at home and I am really wondering just how reputable my technician was during this visit. (He also told me my rubber bushings had started to crack, and my front tires were wearing at a faster rate than those on the back so I should get my four tires aligned and wheels rotated. I had just been to this same dealership for their "B" scheduled maintaince/service checkup which was supposed to have included this two months before). I have always taken my car to the dealership to get any work done and after this I am wondering if it is worth it. I want to trust them and keep my car in good shape but after this experience I believe all they want to do is add to their bottom line and recommend as much work as they can. Not being a mechanic I am looking for some feedback from other Honda owners. I am tempted to ask the technician to show me exactly where he sees the wear and tear and the cracked bushings. Does this sound unreasonable?
Old 01-20-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil pan gasket etc. replacement on 2001 Civic

its very possible, i have many of those problems as well. while they may not be severe enough to need immediate replacement, the dealer will suggest they be fixed anyway. mine is a slow leak so i get alot of "sweating" of oil coating the pan and block, but nothing ever makes it to the ground so im not worried for now. its also possible that the rear main seal leak is fooling the tech into thinking the oil pan gasket is leaking too when it may not be. the cracked bushings are prolly on the front LCA and those are notorious for breaking apart around 60k miles. i had mine replaced with the energy suspension poly bushings so they wouldnt go bad again. stock is very thin rubber, like the front engine mount that always breaks.