Will Doing An Oil Change Help??? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-24-2009   #1
Registered!!

Sebo_T is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Will Doing An Oil Change Help???

I'm curious...If I did an oil change on my car(which already burn oil....would it burn less oil or would it be the same??..
Sebo_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009   #2
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Will Doing An Oil Change Help???

I'd change the oil any way, what year is your car and what oil are you using? It never hurts to get the old oil out of the car. That way all the old stuff you have been mixing is removed and you have new clean oil.
BlueEM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #3

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

No, if you use thicker oil it will slow it down a bit, but not much.
04 Honda Civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #4
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbohar View Post
I'd change the oil any way, what year is your car and what oil are you using? It never hurts to get the old oil out of the car. That way all the old stuff you have been mixing is removed and you have new clean oil.
I'm using cheap oil, super tech, i believe, since i find it pointless to buy expensive if its just gonna burn it...and its a 94 DX
Old 12-25-2009   #5
Registered!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic View Post
What kind would you suggest? && would it be ok to run the kind u suggest in winter and summer? or only one of the 2?
Old 12-25-2009   #6
Registered!!

Would a 20W be good for winter and a 40W for summer?
Old 12-25-2009   #7
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

my rear main seal was leaking and my vtec solenoid would throw an engine code using 5w20 recommended weight. switched to 5w30 and the leak is gone and no more vtec issues. 5w20 is just too thin. oil breaks down while driving anyway, so after some use the 30w is prolly closer to a 20w. you can prolly get away with running 20w in winter but no way in summer. 40w might be too thick for a honda engine, but you could try it in summer. id say if you are burning with 30w, then you have a problem that needs fixing (prolly new piston rings). no additive is gonna fix a mechanical problem.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009   #8
Registered!!

Yah i know... I'm planning on putting a B18 or something along the lines of that in, in the spring... =)
So that problem should be gone after that,.... I hope :P
Old 12-26-2009   #9
Registered!!

cb450sc is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you tried a high mileage oil? I know that my neighbour used it on his daughters clunker and it slowed the loss considerably. He said that it would burn two and a half litres over 5000 km. When using the HM oil, it burned about 1/2 a litre over the same mileage.
cb450sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009   #10
Registered!!

cgomes is on a distinguished road

5w20 is used mostly for the milage
5w30 works great for all current and past civics. (I'm using 5w30 right now) I also have a slow oil burn.
5w40 prob. not unless you have forced air.

I'm currently using castrol. Found that buying brand does make a difference, Mobile 1 burned the quickest for me.

Do your own changes and buy bulk when they are on sale you'll save a lot.
cgomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009   #11
Registered!!

Hondaguy89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic View Post
Probably better to either bite the bullet and get it fixed or at least use the recommended oil. I wouldn't use thicker oil, its not worth the extra strain to the engine and its not like using thicker oil (unless its considerably thicker) is going to slow down the leak to any noticeable extent.
Hondaguy89 is offline   Reply With Quote