Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Honda Oil Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TakumiFujiwara is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Oil Question

Just a question. I noticed that around here my dealer charges pretty much the same for an oil change that a random lube shop does. I used to do my own oil changes but I don't have a garage to do them in anymore so I have to pay someone to do it. I know that when I go to the dealer, they will use the Honda oil that god knows who makes. Is that oil any good or should I keep taking it to lube shops that use Castrol or Mobil 1, etc?
Old 11-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Honda Oil Question

Honda oil is Mobile1 oil. You just pay more for it at a dealership.
Old 11-28-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its okay, i personally would not use it because there are much better oils for about the same or cheaper price. honda oil = regular mobil1 non synthetic.

04 honda civic beat me to it lol^

Last edited by gearbox; 11-28-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

lol, I only know that because you told me in another thread.

I use Honda brake fluid, coolant, and tranny fluid but not their oil.
Old 11-29-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

same here, coolant you might possibly get away with using xerex import coolant, which is pretty much the same as the honda stuff as far as the basics (no silicates, has phosphates), but who knows about the rest like corrosion inhibitors, pH, and lubricants. PS fluid is so cheap you might as well use the honda stuff anyways.
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TakumiFujiwara
Just a question. I noticed that around here my dealer charges pretty much the same for an oil change that a random lube shop does. I used to do my own oil changes but I don't have a garage to do them in anymore so I have to pay someone to do it. I know that when I go to the dealer, they will use the Honda oil that god knows who makes. Is that oil any good or should I keep taking it to lube shops that use Castrol or Mobil 1, etc?
Honda oil is almost as equal to Mobil 5000 slightly different blend. Some dealer will use Valvoline, Pennzoil, Quaker State etc. If i had to choose a quick lube i rather choose Wal-Mart (most are good) since you can choose the bottle oil and brand. I use to do this and bring my own filter.

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
Honda oil is Mobile1 oil. You just pay more for it at a dealership.
Honda oil is NOT Mobil "1" it's "Mobil" oil... Mobil 1 is the full synthetic, and that's not what Honda oil is. Honda oil is blended by XOM which is Exxon Mobil. Don't get the Mobil 1 and Honda oil mix up.
Old 12-01-2009
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
its okay, i personally would not use it because there are much better oils for about the same or cheaper price. honda oil = regular mobil1 non synthetic.

04 honda civic beat me to it lol^
You know there's no such thing as Mobil 1 non synthetic right?

There's Mobil Clean 5000, high mileage, 7500... Then there's Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It's either Mobil Clean (non synthetic) or Mobil 1 (synthetic)

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...Oils/Oils.aspx
Old 12-02-2009
Registered!!

ottotheclown is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silver02EX
You know there's no such thing as Mobil 1 non synthetic right?

There's Mobil Clean 5000, high mileage, 7500... Then there's Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance. It's either Mobil Clean (non synthetic) or Mobil 1 (synthetic)

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...Oils/Oils.aspx
Honda now has 0-20 as does Toyota. That is good stuff but costly made by Japan mfg. Bring your own oil they do not mind. This way you a pretty much in control. Hope you can watch tech to be sure it is put in.
Old 12-02-2009
Premium Member

0w20 is really thin and wont provide adequate protection during the summer. i would only recommend using it for hybrids in the winter if you must. ive even had problems with 5w20 in the summer on my regular civic, so now i only use 5w30 and never had any more issues. with 5w20, my rear main seal was leaking and the engine light came on for vtec problems. switching to 5w30 seems to have fixed the leak (i dont see any oil on the ground, altho there is some sweating on the engine), and no more engine lights. car also seems to run better.