Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

'96 Civic 1.5 - gearbox oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spectralcav is an unknown quantity at this point
'96 Civic 1.5 - gearbox oil change

Hi all - first post time!

I've just bought a '96 Civic 1.5 vtec-e. Generally nice car, but there is some gearbox whine, especially in first gear.

Maybe the transmission is worn, but I like to check the MTF level to see whether it's just low on oil.

Can anyone advise how I would go about doing this - I've worked on cars for many years, but not familiar with this car (yet).

Many Thanks
Old 09-14-2009
Registered!!

jdmCJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: '96 Civic 1.5 - gearbox oil change

who cares what the problem is i would rip that gearbox out and switch it i wouldnt mess with it just go out and get a stronger one
Old 09-14-2009
Im a Senior Member. Take that Noobs!!

Foffie has a spectacular aura aboutFoffie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jdmCJ
who cares what the problem is i would rip that gearbox out and switch it i wouldnt mess with it just go out and get a stronger one
oh god another swap ricer, if he wanted to swap he woulda asked a question about swapping, not everybodys parents pay for everything but seriously just pop open your fill plug on the tranny get some tranny fluid and a long hose/spout and pour till it comes out. and yer full, drive around and shift gears and such and if that doesn't solve it then you can listen to dumb ricer up there
but in all honesty if your gonna fill it you might as well change the fluid cause its one more plug and just as messy. Plus you dunno how long the fliuds been in there anyway. And make sure you use the right trans fluid
Old 09-15-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

The man is asking how to check his mtf fluid and hes being told to change his tranny. So how do I check my engine oil? Should I just replace the whole motor?
Old 09-15-2009
Im a Senior Member. Take that Noobs!!

Foffie has a spectacular aura aboutFoffie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 04 Honda Civic
The man is asking how to check his mtf fluid and hes being told to change his tranny. So how do I check my engine oil? Should I just replace the whole motor?
um yes you should and same goes for power steering, brake fluid and in some cases but not ours differential fluid