Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Big mistake, Bigger problems, need your help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wr13169 is an unknown quantity at this point
Big mistake, Bigger problems, need your help!!!

Ok, so as stupid as this is my brother, the idiot, recently was driving my 2001 civic DX for the night and he ran out of gas. So, he and his buddy grabbed a gas can from the garage, unfortunately, the can had about 3-4 gallons of diesel in it. My brother drove the car less than a mile before it started acting up and stalled.

We discovered the problem in the morning, and imediatly got real gas, 87 octane, and put about 2 gallons in and tried starting the car. However, smoke started coming out the exhaust and the engine would not turn over. Then the dash lights and gauges would start flickering and eventually go off when we kept trying to start the car. Once I would stop trying to start the car all the gauges would flicker and click for a few seconds before completely shutting off.

I need help figuring out what to do?? I am leaning towards taking the car to the shop to have the fuel line and tank drained but would love to avoid this.

Please let me know why my gauges and lights would be effected and go so hay wire??

P.S.- We also got more gas, 93 octane, and added about 5 more gallons as well as octane booster, in hopes to at least get the car started, but no luck.

Please help!! i really dont know what to do or what kind of problem iam looking at!!!?????
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

silver25civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Big mistake, Bigger problems, need your help!!!

just stop adding gas when they have diesel in the tank.because you wont be able to use the gas in your tank anyway. you will have to get it dained. no questions asked. as far as your dash lights flickering i would have to see it to answer that problem because we dont know alot about your car.
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

yea gas and diesel dont mix. the gas just floats ontop of the diesel b/c it's lighter. kinda like gas and water.

if u have a big enough container u could dissconect the fuel rail, diisable the starter, and hold the car in crank to pump out the tank. it will take a while but what other choces do u have?

oh and dont let him drive the car again.
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

damm is he slow or what kick his dumb ***. i was at the gas station yesterday and this lady filled her tank up with diesel and then asked me if that would work. luckily there was a garage there. isn't the diesel nozzel bigger so you can't do that ???
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

lilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond reputelilmidget08 has a reputation beyond repute

get the tank drained for sure and the light were most likely flickering like that because your battery voltage was getting low from cranking the car a lot. the starter drains a lof of power from your battery, so put a charger on the battery, get the tank drained and take it from there, just hope you didnt mess up your injectors.
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lowlife9
damm is he slow or what kick his dumb ***. i was at the gas station yesterday and this lady filled her tank up with diesel and then asked me if that would work. luckily there was a garage there. isn't the diesel nozzel bigger so you can't do that ???
down here the gas side is the black nozzle and you select you grade and the diesel is the green one that says DIESEL. someone just dont read the pumps before they put gas. they must have a special edition civic with a f-250 turdo diesel motor in it. and dont get mad we are just kidding we wouldnt want that to happen to our civics. you could do the old fashion way. get a thin long hose and put it down in the gas part and suck on the end of the hose a cife the gas out. but you will need alot of tic tacs after because you will have diesel/gas breath. yuck
Old 06-14-2009
Registered!!

sorry posted twice wireless is acting up.

Last edited by silver25civic; 06-14-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

jagass is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to drain it...
Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yea whatever u do a complete drain is the best way to go. And as mentioned above ur battery is probably dying thats why ur lights are coming on.
Old 06-15-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

FAIL.

just like the idiot who added NOS energy drink to his gas tank
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570
Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
FAIL.

just like the idiot who added NOS energy drink to his gas tank
http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226570
That was a great read. Thanks. lol
Old 06-15-2009
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

watch this vid, very helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgTlZ...e=channel_page
Old 06-17-2009
Registered!!

that poster on youtube has some nice videos even some DIY tb videos for our civics as well as accords check them out
Old 09-13-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K12144 is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL, reminds me of the time I stopped at the gas station, filled up, then looked at the pump again. Turbo Blue??? Oh ****!

Later found out, after my partner called the gas station, that they use that particular pump for TB part of the year and regular the rest of the time (and I had indeed put normal gas in my car). Hence why it's double-labeled as both TB and regular 87-octane (and hence my confusion--"but it says 87, then it says Turbo Blue really big, and the price is the same as the 87...uh...what did I just do to my car??").

My partner said that the guy he talked to on the phone sounded like this was nowhere near the first time that had happened. You'd think that would signal them to not use the pump for two purposes, but apparently not...