Need some help. Maybe my alternator? - Honda Civic Forum

Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2009   #1  
Registered!!

cdog77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Need some help. Maybe my alternator?

Ok I have a honda civic si 2004 4 door. This is what it is doing: When I stop at the lights or whenever I need to stop the ABS light comes on and the car seems like it is losing all power. Now three times now the car has stalled and wont start unless I get a jump. When I try to start it after it stalls (before I get a jump) all the lights are dime and just wont start. Sometimes I need two jumps before I can drive away. I replace the battery and it still does it. The tow truck driver said it was my alternator. What do you guys think?

Then I was wondering how hard is it to change the alternator?

Thanks
cdog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #2  
30 Years Driving Japanese Autos

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need some help. Maybe my alternator?

I would do a quick check first.

Do you have access to a Voltmeter or digital multimeter ??
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #3  
Registered!!

cdog77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigW View Post
I would do a quick check first.

Do you have access to a Voltmeter or digital multimeter ??
I will check to see if i have one or if I have a friend that has one.
What do you think that sounds like?
Thanks. Then I will let you know after I check it.
cdog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #4  
30 Years Driving Japanese Autos

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Turn on the blower fan and lights to load the system. The voltage will go up and down due to the ELD but you should be above 12 Volts if charging. 12.5-14.5 approx.
CraigW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #5  
Registered!!

98mugenpower98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to auto zone, advance auto or NAPA and they will check it for you. It's a 04, that's odd that it went out already but it really sounds like it is the alternator.
98mugenpower98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #6  
Registered!!

98mugenpower98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to auto zone, advance auto or NAPA and they will check it for you. It's a 04, that's odd that it went out already but it really sounds like it is the alternator.
98mugenpower98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #7  
Registered!!

silver25civic is an unknown quantity at this point

a way to see if it is your altinator is get it jumped and running. while it is running unhook the positive side of the battery. if the car stays running it is not your altinator, if it kills you need to change it. try and let us know.
silver25civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009   #8  
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

prolly alternator. my stock one only lasted two years.
gearbox is offline   Reply With Quote