Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

94 Civic pouring coolant from underneath engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hekg is an unknown quantity at this point
94 Civic pouring coolant from underneath engine

Hi all, I have a 94 Civic LX with 170k miles on it. I love this thing, it has been great to me.

The other day my father drove it and it overheated on him pretty badly, smoke everywhere, etc. He added water and made it home but it has been overheating ever since.

Today I looked under the hood and found that the coolant reservoir hose to the radiator was disconnect so I figured this was the cause of the overheating.

So I added coolant and started it and saw that all of the coolant was rushing out from directly beneath the engine. Does this mean that the water pump went bad or can it be something worse?

How much should I expect to pay to have this repaired?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-20-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 94 Civic pouring coolant from underneath engine

try and look under the car to see where. may be a busted hose, cracked radiator, waterpump, or something else.
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

I can't get under the car to check it out but by standing over the driver side of the engine and looking down it looks like the coolant is coming out somewhere directly beneath the alternator.
Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

sounds like a water pump
Old 05-21-2009
Registered!!

I hope it's just the water pump .. and I really hope it's not too expensive to have repalced
Old 05-21-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

it usually is expensive, like changing the timing belt. which you might as well do too since everything will be taken apart.
Old 05-22-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

Yea unfortunately saying "I hope its the water pump" is a bad thing on our cars.. I dont know how similar ur car is to the 7th gens. But get under there and see if it is leaking out of the black plastic covers. If thats the case then yea ur water pump is shot.