Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

1995 Honda Civic losing oil ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ivy7845 is an unknown quantity at this point
1995 Honda Civic losing oil ?

Just bought a 1995 Honda Civic CX, did an oil change right away and it’s already down a quart after about 250 miles.

The car runs great but pushes a bit of white smoke every once in a while and the exhaust smells a bit rich rich of oil (on and off).

It doesn’t seem to be losing any power and doesn’t push smoke in higher RPMs or at any specific time. Can see a bit of dark dirty oil pool up on the front underside of the engine but doesn’t seem to be dripping when parked or at idle.

Haven’t seen it drop oil anywhere but somehow it seems to be getting into the exhaust once in a while. Not leaking from the oil plug and can’t see exactly where it’s coming from. The car apparently sat for a year and a half before being driven 150 miles to the city I bought it in and the 16V motor was rebuilt in 2006 about 65,000 miles ago.

Everything is great but the oil consumption and occasional and brief blasts of white smoke. Any ideas what the problem could be?
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: 1995 Honda Civic losing oil ?

put a thicker oil in it .
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like a headgasket. check your coolant and see if it has oil mixed with it. if there is oil then most likely its a headgasket. but just because there is no oil in the coolant doesnt mean it isnt a headgasket. your rings/seals could be wearing out as well. do a compression test to see if everything is up to par. if the compression test is fine its probably one of the crank seals that are going bad. if you live in an average weather area (where its not too cold) i would say use synthetic 5w30 oil as well. what oil do you use? if your using dino oil the oil could be blocking/clogging the seals preventing you to see if the seals are bad or not.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

autome5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Drive it for a while keeping a close check on oil usage like 3000 miles if it continues to use a quart that frequently find a real good shop one you fill will look out for you like free advice, and ask them what they thank?Maybe even get a leak down test to pin point were the oil is going. Some times the results are not the greatest news, but at least you will know wich direction to take, thicker oil only may solve the problem for a little bit.

Last edited by autome5; 05-18-2009 at 03:52 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

bigaudiofanatic is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours lost oil of cores it had 298,000 miles on it as well. We just kept adding oil to it every few weeks. Also might be head gasket check your coolant.
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

daddyforty is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you changed your spark plugs lately? If not pull one out and check if the chamber is full of oil. I have the same problem. Last time I changed my spark plugs 3 out of four spark plugs were coated with oil.
Old 07-01-2009
Registered!!

daddyforty is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you changed your spark plugs lately? If not pull one out and check if the chamber is full of oil. I have the same problem. Last time I changed my spark plugs 3 out of four spark plugs were coated with oil.
Old 07-01-2009
^Warranty voider

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Running Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of lightRunning Riot is a glorious beacon of light

i have the same problem but i think it has something to do with the PCV valve, the valve guides or check the valve cover gasket. I had an issue in which I didn't change the spark plug tube seals and some oil got into the spark plug chamber and would cause problems.