Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

is this good oil for my motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
em2allday is an unknown quantity at this point
is this good oil for my motor

i have a d17 is this oil ok Pennzoil full synthetic
Old 10-23-2008
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: is this good oil for my motor

i don't know... my car or i haven't tasted it to see if it is good.
Old 10-23-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

any oil is fine, as long as u keep it changed, no oil will give u hp, or torque
Old 10-24-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

tell that to castrol syntec, no other oil unleashes more hp. it was on a commercial and in magazine so it has to be true.
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

inthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trusted

I heard bad things about pennzoil synthetic

go with royal purple(advanced auto/ACE) or amsoil

in fact I think pennzoil synthetic is probably the worst synthetic oil compared to every other synthetic oil on the market. Just google search.
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

amsoil good and cheaper i use tat
Old 10-24-2008
just a man with a civic

sicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of lightsicma99ot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
tell that to castrol syntec, no other oil unleashes more hp. it was on a commercial and in magazine so it has to be true.
thats what i use baby! woo. nothing gives more hp. i can almost get up hill with that stuff. i even drink a little to run faster and perform cleaner
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

Silver02EX is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by em2allday
i have a d17 is this oil ok Pennzoil full synthetic
It's one of the best Synthetic out there. It's as good as Mobil 1, and it's cheaper than Mobil 1. Check out the UOA on bobistheoilguy. If you don't plan on on doing 5K+ miles / 1 year change, I would stick with the conventional Pennzoil, which is also a great oil.
Old 10-24-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by inthezoneac

in fact I think pennzoil synthetic is probably the worst synthetic oil compared to every other synthetic oil on the market. Just google search.
I disagree. Take a look at some of these results
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...arch=true#Post
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...12556771263006

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ue#Post1126635
Old 10-25-2008
Banned

greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

pennzoil conventional is one of the worst conventionals out there, it makes more sludge and buildup than any other oil out there
Old 10-25-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

yeah it is lol but people still love it for some reason. i always tell people get valvoline but who listens.
Old 10-25-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by greeen01civic4d
pennzoil conventional is one of the worst conventionals out there, it makes more sludge and buildup than any other oil out there
It's one of the best conventional out there these days. Where's your proof that it's bad? Do you have results from any used oil? Here's mine that says it's a great oil:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ue#Post1205408

This guy ran 5,645 miles in his EX and this is the report from his sample of used oil:

"Your wear generally read around averages and all metals were in the correct balance. That's a good sign that your engine has no problems to speak of, and you could run the oil more miles if you wanted to. No harmful contaminants were found and your air and oil filters (silicon and insolubles) are working well. Try 6500 miles next time. This engine is showing no signs of slowing down!"

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...ue#Post1115835

Lets not forget that these guys discuss oil all day, so these guys know what they are talking about when it comes to oil. I've been a member on bobistheoilguy for 5 years and have never came across a bad sample of Pennzoil.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...254229&fpart=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...250943&fpart=1

Last edited by Silver02EX; 10-25-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-13-2008
You Stay Classy, San Diego

jamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nicejamis33 is just really nice

im using pennzoil platinum full synthetic its so cheap and its really good. Why spend 30 for a 5quart bottle of mobile1 when you can get pennzoil for 20.
Old 11-13-2008
Registered!!

rutscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

**** in it
Old 12-03-2008
Registered!!

BoomerXx21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't you not supposed to change to synthetic after a certain amount of miles? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that it's bad for your seals and gaskets for some reason that I have forgotten. Might want to check up on it, and if this is true, would it be alright (based on averages) to switch after 16k miles?
Old 12-03-2008
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough

has any of you guys used full synthetic honda oil? how are they compared to others?
Old 12-03-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BoomerXx21
Aren't you not supposed to change to synthetic after a certain amount of miles? Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that it's bad for your seals and gaskets for some reason that I have forgotten. Might want to check up on it, and if this is true, would it be alright (based on averages) to switch after 16k miles?
That's one of the oldest myth with synthetic oil. There's nothing wrong with switching to synthetic after 16K miles.
Old 12-04-2008
Premium Member

i dont think honda has a synthetic oil. their rebadged oil is mobil1, but its conventional not synthetic.
Old 12-05-2008
Registered!!

rjngo will become famous soon enoughrjngo will become famous soon enough

i dont think honda has a synthetic oil. their rebadged oil is mobil1, but its conventional not synthetic.
that's what i thought until i bought this...Honda Full synthetic 5w 20

Old 12-11-2008
Registered!!

Honda Synthectic is made by XOM. They blend other oil for other companies and brand. Kinda like WPP who blend the Super Tech you find at Wal-mart.
Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

JDMLee is a jewel in the roughJDMLee is a jewel in the roughJDMLee is a jewel in the rough

i have royal purple in my car and its the best oil out the!!!! penzzoil is the worst oil in the world never get it!!!! and if u guys want another ggood oil go with ENEOS oil !!!!
Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

AW05STI will become famous soon enoughAW05STI will become famous soon enough

yeah it is lol but people still love it for some reason. i always tell people get valvoline but who listens.
JESUS CHRIST, gearbox you are still here? This is SLO REX.
Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

Fox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rutscivic
**** in it
YES SIR!!! WOOOO!!!
Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

Fox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond reputeFox04coupe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silver02EX
That's one of the oldest myth with synthetic oil. There's nothing wrong with switching to synthetic after 16K miles.
the second poster is right. and you got the myth wrong... well I guess you got the myth right... but the fact is, and this is for older cars... you can't switch from a detergent oil to a non-detergent oil. Something about the way a detergent oil cleans the motor and all the little moving parts so well that it almost causes gaps or some crap. Then if you were to go to a non detergent oil it would stick in all the gaps... that or leak through, i'll have to break out my "How to keep your volkswagen alive for damn near ever" book.

Last edited by Fox04coupe; 12-12-2008 at 12:59 AM. Reason: SHIT IT DIDNT SHOW THE SECOND POSTER!
Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by JDMLee
penzzoil is the worst oil in the world never get it!!!!
You have proof? I like to see some UOA of how bad Pennzoil is. I'm not talking about, this person says this or that. I'm talking about UOA fom places like Blackstone.
Old 12-12-2008
Registered!!

JDMLee is a jewel in the roughJDMLee is a jewel in the roughJDMLee is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Silver02EX
You have proof? I like to see some UOA of how bad Pennzoil is. I'm not talking about, this person says this or that. I'm talking about UOA fom places like Blackstone.
i dont need proof its just fact ask any mechinic or any person at a autozone, pepboys and thell tell u the same thing why do u think there having those specials at autozone 21 bucks for a oil change and all the stuff it comes with included garbage PENNZOIL!!!!! it builds up sludge and eats at the engine!!!!
Old 12-13-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by JDMLee
i dont need proof its just fact ask any mechinic or any person at a autozone, pepboys and thell tell u the same thing why do u think there having those specials at autozone 21 bucks for a oil change and all the stuff it comes with included garbage PENNZOIL!!!!! it builds up sludge and eats at the engine!!!!
My point eaxactly. you are going by from what people say, but I have UOA showing lab test of oil that's have been used in a car. You take your pick, would you want someone's word or lab test showing wear numbers.

Here's some 5w20 that is ran for 6,400 miles

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...298990&fpart=1

No where in the test does it say anything about sludge. I can post many of the UOA from people using Pennzoil who has great wear numbers.
Old 01-05-2009
Registered!!

Psalm54 is an unknown quantity at this point

My friend mechanic who i trust always told me to use Castrol.... so i use that or Mobil.... and all your problems will be solved
Old 01-05-2009
Registered!!

Psalm54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rjngo
that's what i thought until i bought this...Honda Full synthetic 5w 20

Looks like my car... Too bad for you, that you live in state that requires you to have 2 UGLY YELLOW license plates..... In Arizona, you only need one in the back. and its a white maroon color.
Old 01-05-2009
Registered!!

civicplaya will become famous soon enoughcivicplaya will become famous soon enough

Yeah I bought my car recently, and I don't know what kind of oil the dude before me used... I just change the oil and put in Fully Synthetic Mobil1 5w-30. Idk, but it seems like it hasn't been running like usual, and sometimes the oil shows up when i check the dipstick and other times it don't.

Quick Reply: is this good oil for my motor