Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Switched to AMSOIL

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switched to AMSOIL

why because its synthetic? thats not a good enough reason. Cars that have 500k+ miles on the original motor used conventional oil, not synthetic. Most good mechanics here say they will not recommend synthetic because it does not stick to the metal like conventional does. So every time you let the car sit for more than a day, you are dry starting it. if you dont believe me, get both types of oil, two metal gears, and dip one in each oil and then hang them in the air. come back tomorrow and look at the difference.

Last edited by gearbox; 07-14-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2008
Retired suspension supermod.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

blah blah blah...same argument over and over. There is no way to prove anything by arguing because there are too many variables involved besides oil. One person can change his/her synthetic oil every 25k and have his/her car last 200k, whereas someone with conventional oil can change it every 3k and have the car last 50k.

I have done 10k on Amsoil with no problems, but did not have it tested. It was a little worn by looking at it and will probably stick to 7500 mile changes. That is because the 5-20 is less miles than some of the other long lasting stuff.

All you guys "attacking" him should back off. Some oils are "designed" to go 25k. Whether or not that works, is yet to be seen. Better safe than sorry is a good approach, but that does not mean that the long intervals are bad. ****, we all know that conventional oil can go 4-5k, yet all the stealerships want you in every 3k. Is it worse if someone waits until 5k? We just don't know. We just go on theory. In fact, I've heard of military vehicles lasting 200k on no oil changes, just changing the filter and adding some extra oil to top off.

Last edited by robbclark1; 07-14-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^good point to end all discussion. mod saves the day again.
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

i'll post results from oil analysis on the amsoil that's in my car. anytime i drive the car it's spirited and this oil has some track time with only more to come.
Old 07-15-2008
Registered!!

skoot is an unknown quantity at this point

Amsoil has done all the test you are talking about....Amsoil.com. They also did a test comparing other oils...Valvoline was the worst
Old 07-15-2008

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by skoot
Amsoil has done all the test you are talking about....Amsoil.com. They also did a test comparing other oils...Valvoline was the worst
But amsoil often is not tested by independent testers because the company does not participate in some overarching oil consortium.

One of the best places to get info is here. There are plenty of oil analyses in the forums.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

And andy's oil analysis should be good indicator of what amsoil can do/not do, but the results should be used with caution given that there are few stock parts on Andy's motor, making it difficult to compare to a relatively stock D17.
Old 07-15-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well if amsoil says their oil is the best, who am i to argue lol. I bet some of you still think K&N is the worlds best air filter too lmao.
Old 07-15-2008

We don't need to go around throwing that word "best" around. We all know that there is no best.
Old 07-15-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

^^ agreed... best is opinion based!
Old 07-19-2008
Registered!!

Skunkwerks Boss is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in fleet maint. for the last 24 years, working for a utility company that owns around 1500 vehicles in all shapes and sizes. We maintain from small cars to over the road tractors, plus a bunch of off road equipment. We bought about twenty medium duty trucks starting in `96, all the exact same trucks. We tried using AMSOIL in one of these trucks just to see how it would work. We considered this vehicle to be broken in before using Amsoil, so off we went. We had to use a Amsoil bypass filter kit, which had to have the filters replaced every 7500 miles, which held six quarts by themselves. This is on a normally 30 quart system..... see where I`m going with this? We were always adding a chunk of fresh oil to make the claimed 30,000 mile oil change by AMSOIL. If that was`nt enough, the engine started leaking oil out of every nook that a engine could. Quart after quart went into this engine, using more oil than twenty trucks combined....indeed. We got away from that program, and never looked back. I do say that AMSOIL makes some great products, this just did not work for us.

What does this have to do with Honda`s.... not a damn thing. I`m just saying that things are not always as they seem. From what I`ve seen and heard about "some" syn. oils, to try and run a motor for 25,000 miles between changes is really asking for trouble. I`m not dissing syn oil, it does have it`s place, just don`t buy into every bright idea that comes along to try and save a few bucks in the long haul.
Old 07-19-2008
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Skunkwerks Boss
I have been in fleet maint. for the last 24 years, working for a utility company that owns around 1500 vehicles in all shapes and sizes. We maintain from small cars to over the road tractors, plus a bunch of off road equipment. We bought about twenty medium duty trucks starting in `96, all the exact same trucks. We tried using AMSOIL in one of these trucks just to see how it would work. We considered this vehicle to be broken in before using Amsoil, so off we went. We had to use a Amsoil bypass filter kit, which had to have the filters replaced every 7500 miles, which held six quarts by themselves. This is on a normally 30 quart system..... see where I`m going with this? We were always adding a chunk of fresh oil to make the claimed 30,000 mile oil change by AMSOIL. If that was`nt enough, the engine started leaking oil out of every nook that a engine could. Quart after quart went into this engine, using more oil than twenty trucks combined....indeed. We got away from that program, and never looked back. I do say that AMSOIL makes some great products, this just did not work for us.

What does this have to do with Honda`s.... not a damn thing. I`m just saying that things are not always as they seem. From what I`ve seen and heard about "some" syn. oils, to try and run a motor for 25,000 miles between changes is really asking for trouble. I`m not dissing syn oil, it does have it`s place, just don`t buy into every bright idea that comes along to try and save a few bucks in the long haul.
were these trucks that normally didn't see synthetic oil? if so, then there's no doubt about why they started leaking everywhere.
Old 07-19-2008
Registered!!

Yes Sir, that was the only truck that we tried syn. oil in. The rest of that story was, the driver of that truck was a AMSOIL dealer. He drove my dept. head nuts to get him to try it, telling him how much the company could save on oil changes and labor in the long haul. I would actually catch that driver in the drive through wash bay, steaming off the engine to try and hide the oil leaks. We kept extra cases of that oil on the truck because every time you filled up with fuel, it was always one or two quarts going in. That truck had an ongoing oil change, because of leaks or burning of it. To be honest, we probably would have never had to pull the plug on the motor to change the oil because if tested, it would most likely always come back as good because of the constant adding of new oil.

We change oil in everything at 5000 miles now. I can honestly say that we have never had a oil related breakdown of any kind in all the years I`ve been there. We have always used a 15-40 oil in everything, but now we are using some lighter stuff in some of the newer cars and small sport utes.

The key to engine life is staying on a hardcore maint. program. Use the type of oil that the maker recommends and stay on it. You can never have too fresh of oil, if you feel better about changing it before they say to, then do it.
Old 07-19-2008
Registered!!

filipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of lightfilipinop1405 is a glorious beacon of light

^^ agreed!
Old 07-19-2008
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
I bet some of you still think K&N is the worlds best air filter too lmao.
They ARE, they have the million mile warranty!!
Old 07-20-2008
Registered!!

I encourage everyone to read Amsoil website to answer your filter 25k miles concern.

I'm not trying to rattle cages..I just wanted to try it out and share with you all. I'll go one year on the oil seeing that I don't drive 25k miles in a year...more like 13k miles. The filter system above is for big trucks. I'm just using the normal Amsoil filter that's good with the one year or 25k miles. It's supposed to filter up to 1 micron...We'll see. They also say that the color of the oil has nothing to do with the viscosity....Please read their Q&A...it will clear up some of the confusion. Sorry for causing waves in this forum...
Old 07-20-2008
Registered!!

well i think what most people are saying is that you can't trust what a company says about their own product because they are going to say what people want to hear to just get their products sold. if it does last you that long and the oil is analyzed and is still in good running order and the filter does what they say it does by all means go for it... but i myself and a lot of other members, as stated in previous posts, on here will agree too is changing your oil according to the manufacturer so that the engine will run for the longest and at its best.... but hell even then shyt happens and you can't help that... none the less thanks for the info and i hope that you don't learn the hard way...
Old 07-20-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Skunkwerks Boss
Yes Sir, that was the only truck that we tried syn. oil in. The rest of that story was, the driver of that truck was a AMSOIL dealer. He drove my dept. head nuts to get him to try it, telling him how much the company could save on oil changes and labor in the long haul. I would actually catch that driver in the drive through wash bay, steaming off the engine to try and hide the oil leaks. We kept extra cases of that oil on the truck because every time you filled up with fuel, it was always one or two quarts going in. That truck had an ongoing oil change, because of leaks or burning of it. To be honest, we probably would have never had to pull the plug on the motor to change the oil because if tested, it would most likely always come back as good because of the constant adding of new oil.

We change oil in everything at 5000 miles now. I can honestly say that we have never had a oil related breakdown of any kind in all the years I`ve been there. We have always used a 15-40 oil in everything, but now we are using some lighter stuff in some of the newer cars and small sport utes.

The key to engine life is staying on a hardcore maint. program. Use the type of oil that the maker recommends and stay on it. You can never have too fresh of oil, if you feel better about changing it before they say to, then do it.
you can't just put full synthetic oil in something that has been running on dino oil it's whole life man. that's why it started leaking.
Old 07-20-2008
Registered!!

No waves on my end skoot, everyone has an opinion. I know my truck story does not imply comparing it to a Honda in any way,but, it was an example of what can happen. Also, the truck in question was almost new and probably had around 10 grand on the odo., so the mileage was not a issue in any way about the leaks. I would do some research on burnt fossel fuels and ring blow by when it comes to oil appearance. I would also research low micron filters when it comes to cold weather start ups. Keep burpin` those filters when it gets cold and you will see how long that engine will last. It`s all good, let us know how it works out.
Old 07-20-2008
Premium Member

most oil filters these days have 99% or higher filtration. i use anything from K&N to mobil1 to napa gold and they are all excellent filters. heck even the purolator pure-one hangs up there with the top brands having micron filtration. its nothing special to get excited over.
Old 07-20-2008

most oil filters these days have 99% or higher filtration. i use anything from K&N to mobil1 to napa gold and they are all excellent filters. heck even the purolator pure-one hangs up there with the top brands having micron filtration. its nothing special to get excited over.
Napa = WIX = FTW!!
Old 08-09-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andyman97
Sweetness. I only change my oil every 100k or 10 years! Woot, amsoil is the ****!
I use oil scavanged from downed UFO's, and I never have to replace it. -_- Oh sheet, the CIA is on ma' *** again...

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 08-09-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-09-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by andyman97
Mine runs on poo-poo! It's a terd-hybrid, what!
Haha, now that's funny. ^_^
Old 08-09-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by beadebaserr
there is nothing wrong with running amsoil 25k in your d17 civic. have any of you ever sent oil away for analysis before jumping to your conclusions? i know of people running amsoil on gt35r boosted k20a2s and k24a2s, 10-15 psi, tracked and some daily driven, running amsoil for 10k-15k before changing it, and oil analysis saying they could have even went further.

i used to run mobil 1 in my k20a2 but it would always be a quart low at the 3k mark and it made me nervous. switched to amsoil, stays full. i'm going to run it to 10k then take it in for oil analysis and see how long i could be running it.

now, i can see the issue with running oil that long for most people, it might make them much less inclined to even open the hood. but, most people on this site are going to be tinkering with their cars pretty often. i check my oil about every other time i get gas.
That's interesting, but why would the amsoil not run low? I mean what's happening to the mobil 1 stuff? Is it evaporating, or is it being burned? And why not the amsoil? I run a quart low every 5-6K on my D16.
Old 08-09-2008
Registered!!

why because its synthetic? thats not a good enough reason. Cars that have 500k+ miles on the original motor used conventional oil, not synthetic. Most good mechanics here say they will not recommend synthetic because it does not stick to the metal like conventional does. So every time you let the car sit for more than a day, you are dry starting it. if you dont believe me, get both types of oil, two metal gears, and dip one in each oil and then hang them in the air. come back tomorrow and look at the difference.
That is the case with the guns I clean. I use 5w-30 castrol synthetic on them and the oil just rolls down over time. I use it because it doesn't evaporate. I hope it is still staying in the pores...
Old 08-10-2008
Premium Member

prolly should leave a thin coating, were talking more about how there is not a thick enough layer to keep the gears from grinding
Old 08-19-2008
Registered!!

inthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trustedinthezoneac should not be trusted

I run Royal Purple and oil change every 7500-10k miles. You never need to change it at 3k unless you drive hundreds of miles everyday and are running garbage $1/quart oil.
Old 08-27-2008
'05 still rolling...

SpecialKPB will become famous soon enough

to change oil x 2 cars...

Just wanted to share! You guys should check it out. AMSOIL has done all the R&D and have answered every question you can think of...
.....so he's slowly killing two cars....I also like the part about the R&D from Amsoil

-K
Old 08-27-2008
Premium Member

lol you gotta love self promotion
Old 08-28-2008
Registered!!

Dang..you guys are some serious haters! Every chance you all get to flame you take it to the extreme! WOW!

I switched oil to somthing most of you know nothing about and you flame me like I killed someone... grow up
Old 08-28-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Dang..you guys are some serious haters! Every chance you all get to flame you take it to the extreme! WOW!

I switched oil to somthing most of you know nothing about and you flame me like I killed someone... grow up
opinions by my friend.

but on a serious note, since this forum is populated with teenagers and some 20 something-year-old ricers.......thats what happens =]

go on a lotus forum or soemthing, and the atmosphere and attitude of everyone is completely diff.

Quick Reply: Switched to AMSOIL