Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carter is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Change

Ive read all the threads and the FAQ, im wondering now up in Canada it does get really cold but in the summer about just as hot so i gues sticking to the manual would make sence with a 5w 20 but now what i dont get do i go CastroGTx or do I go Moible 1 Synthetic?

The Car is Honda Civic 2004 DX Sedan. Ive got about 110 000Kms on it and would like to start making the changes at home ever since my free oil changes ended and its going to get warm again in a month or so when its time for another change.

What oil filter would you reccomend? and Synthetic Mobile 1 or Castro or Fromula 1 or QuakerState?

Do i go Synthetic or not? Whats better im not looking to cheap outbut if synthetic does more harm then good then obviouslly not worth it

THanks.
Old 02-07-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of
Re: Oil Change

If you haven’t uses synthetic its whole life.

Don’t start now...

110,000 km is what 60000 miles...
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

carter is an unknown quantity at this point

So quakerstate or Penzoile... what filter?

and how long to these oils go for about 5000 .. what does Honda use for Oil Changes
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

I use castrol GTX I have used it for years in lots of different cars and never have had any problems. I have seen a couple of engines burn up on quarkerstate so I personally won't touch the stuff even though I know a lot of people that say they love it.

I change mine every 5000 miles(never have any problems) the stealership tries to get you to do it every like 3200 miles. In an emergency you can squeeze like 7000 miles out of an oil

K&N, and Fram filters are nice if you want to go all out you can get a JDM Hamp oil filter they supposedly up your oil pressure by 5 psi.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

studebaker is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of misinformation and very old information on this subject. Plain fact is, most any good grade of oil will easily do 7,000+ between changes in modern engines. I do oil analysis on my cars and trucks to determine oil change intervals. The analysis don't lie.
The below was changed when the analysis recommended, even then, it was only due to moisture contamination and not because the oil was out of spec.
1996 Dodge PU with cummins diesel --changed at 21,000 miles on oil. (Lubrication engineers 8800 10w40) 160,000 on engine
1998 Toyota 4runner V6 --changed with 31,000 miles on oil, oil was still well in spec, H20 was just starting to get in "change" range. 150,000 on engine
2006 Jetta diesel -- first change at 9,000 miles, second at 9900 miles and new brand oil (Scheffers synthetic) so I changed early at 7800 on oil. Analysis read -- go to 9000 on next change and have re-analysis done. (special spec oil for TDI engine)
Below is a very good write up on oil weights ---
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php...tor_oil_basics

More good info on oil and oil analysis --
http://bobistheoilguy.com/

Last edited by studebaker; 02-26-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-26-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

since you have 110000k miles, id suggest you start using valvoline MAXLIFE 5w-20 (or 5w-30)
Old 02-26-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

That's in Kilometers. That's about 68,000 miles.
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

silver2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by studebaker
A lot of misinformation and very old information on this subject. Plain fact is, most any good grade of oil will easily do 7,000+ between changes in modern engines. I do oil analysis on my cars and trucks to determine oil change intervals. The analysis don't lie.
http://ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.php...tor_oil_basics
Did anyone notice the ferrarichat site said change your oil every 3,000 - 5,000 miles? Maybe they don't do oil analysis.

FWIW, I noticed my riding lawn mower started easier and ran better after oil changes. But it got to where it was hard to start on all occasions. When I switched to Mobil 1, it started on the first pull pretty much always. It was a much happier engine
TC
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

That site was given for oil weight info. No, the fellow did not do oil analysis but should be doing it. Your mower liked the lighter weight synthetic. No real reason it should run better after an oil change unless you ran it until the oil turned to molasses.
The other site gives much more info on oil analysis and why you should at least do it enough times to establish a baseline for oil changes. 3 to 5 thousand miles on a late model engine is a waste of time and resources on an everyday driver, but stay stuck in the 40's if it makes you feel better!
Old 02-26-2008
Registered!!

silver2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by studebaker
The other site gives much more info on oil analysis and why you should at least do it enough times to establish a baseline for oil changes. 3 to 5 thousand miles on a late model engine is a waste of time and resources on an everyday driver, but stay stuck in the 40's if it makes you feel better!
I will look for a lab that does oil analysis. A local one would be handy. I've read it can cost as little as $10. Knowledge is bliss and we should all keep up to date on the current technology.
Old 02-27-2008
Registered!!

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
This is one that I have used. Mails the oil sample containers to you and you just drop them in the mail when the sample is take along with oil and vehicle info.
I'm using Schaeffer and Lubrication Engineering oil and both have their own oil sample labs as do many of the oil brands out there. Many of the big truck service garages have oil sample service as well, such as your local Mack, Cat etc. Do it enough times to establish a baseline for oil change and then only on occasion to make sure all is well with your drive train.
Old 02-27-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Unevolved
That's in Kilometers. That's about 68,000 miles.

haha yea i know....i wanted to type out "km" but forgot the "m" and just put miles on accident.....lol