Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Low fuel starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mdawg is on a distinguished road
Low fuel starting problems

I have a 97 Civic LX, when it starts to get below half tank it has problems cranking when its cold. I ran it almost down to the gas light coming on and it prob. cranked over 10 times on a cold start, then when I turned the key off from driving, the engine died hard like it was running out of gas at the same time I was turning the car off. So when I tryed to start it again after that, it took about 5 times since the engine was a little warm but it shook a lot and almost acted like it wanted to die on me but then started up. Once its started though it doesen't give me a problem because for one my gas gauge is F* up. It floats so bad I hardly rely on it, last time the E light came on I still had like almost 2gal of gas left. What should I look into here to fix this problem if anyone has ever heard of this before?
Old 07-17-2007
Registered!!

Re: Low fuel starting problems

bump
Old 07-17-2007
Registered!!

Alpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz ErthangAlpha 5 Ownz Erthang

Sorry, my 01 Chevy S10 is like this, but never had a problem with the Civic.
I just keep the truck above a half tank, kinda sucks but I don't have to worry about it.
Old 07-18-2007
Registered!!

baderade is an unknown quantity at this point

my '96 civic does something similar below a half tank. It normally takes 2 to 3 times below half but never cutting of on me or running rough. Maybe this is a common problem that varies in our generation of civic.
Old 07-18-2007
Registered!!

I guess I can deal with the starting problem to a point, I would like to figure it out. The gas floating problem annoys me the most though. I don't think there is a good way to fix that problem though.
Old 07-18-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

is it the actual gauge thats messed up, like is it broken or something? or is it just the reading thats wrong. cause then its prolly just a bad fuel sender and not the actual readout.

seems like you have fuel pressure issues, maybe fuel pump going bad or something, cause usually its located at the top of the tank and that would explain why it starts fine when theres gas filled up to the top.
Old 07-18-2007
Registered!!

Well the gauge is kinda close, depending if im on a hill or turning depends how far its going to float. It almost always moves a noticable amount just going up a normal hill, which I do not see this problem on my gf accord so I know this should not be happening. Like I said if I ride it till my gas light comes on and fill up I still have almost 2 gal of gas in my car. Is there any good way to check my fuel pump/ pressure to see if its bad? Fuel pumps are kinda expensive are they not ~$100 vs. just making sure I don't let it get to low on gas below half tank. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-19-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

um i think your gauge is fine. most cars have 2-3 gallons left when fuel light comes on. now its not okay to have 5 gallons left after driving 50 miles wth the gas light on lol. thats what happened to mine and turned out to be faulty fuel sender. but with most older gauges, they do change when going up/down hills, i noticed it on my old car as well as some others. its just the way the gas was measured back then. newer cars have the gauges that turn on with the car and drop to E with it off. theyre a bit more accurate. you should get a fuel pressure tested and make sure it is within the proper range. sometimes the pressure is high enough to run the car but not to actually start it. could also simply be clogged injectors. head over to lubecontrol.com and start using their gas and oil treatments. wouldnt hurt even if thats not your problem. pm me if you want discount codes for the gallon sizes. well worth the money.