Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

02 Civic EX Transaxle Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the-troglodytes is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Civic EX Transaxle Fluid Change

How do I change all the fluid out of my 02 EX transaxle? From reading my Haynes manual, it appears that only a portion of the fluid drains out, with another 4 quarts left in the torque converter. What I found out so far is to change the fluid 3-5 times in short order and you will have mostly new fluid

My local mechanic put Dexron III / Mercon fluid in my replacement transmission. The mechanic added LUBEGARD® Highly Friction Modified-ATF Supplement that converts DEXRON II,III/MERCON ATF into a highly friction modified fluid. I am uncomfortable with this product, as replacing the transmission again is expensive. Do I need to worry.

Do I need to go somewhere to have it flushed? I have an air-compressor in my shop, is there some way I can force most the fluid out in one shot?

Any thoughts and or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by the-troglodytes; 06-15-2007 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2007
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Re: 02 Civic EX Transaxle Fluid Change

you could always go to your honda dealer where they have a power flushing machine used specifically for taking out all the old fluid from your auto tranny.

however, there are some people who suggest to do only a simple drain and refill. the reason is because there is a chance that when all the old fluid is forced out, the crap from the old fluid, shavings, etc. will get jammed in your torque converter damaging it.
Old 06-17-2007
Registered!!

stock is on a distinguished road
Re: 02 Civic EX Transaxle Fluid Change

Just drain and refill with genuine Honda ATF a few times.